Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Optimal frequency of changing intravenous administration sets: is it safe to prolong use beyond 72 hours?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2001; 22: 136-191
- Is routine replacement of peripheral intravenous catheters necessary?.Arch Intern Med. 1998; 158: 151-156
- Optimal timing for intravenous administration set replacement.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; 4 (CD003588)
- Guidelines for the prevention of intravascular catheter-related infections.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2002; 51: 1-26
- Safety of prolonging peripheral cannula and IV tubing use from 72 hours to 96 hours.Am J Infect Control. 1998; 26: 66-70
- Evaluation of dressing regimens for prevention of infection with peripheral intravenous catheters.JAMA. 1987; 258: 2396-2403
- A randomized study comparing a transparent polyurethane dressing to a dry gauze dressing for peripheral intravenous catheter sites.Infect Control. 1985; 6: 361-366
- Predisposing factors to phlebitis in patients with peripheral intravenous catheters: a descriptive study.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2008; 20: 172-180
- A semiquantitative culture method for identifying intravenous catheter–related infection.N Engl J Med. 1977; 296: 1305-1309
- Risk factors for infusion-related phlebitis with small peripheral venous catheters: a randomized controlled trial.Ann Intern Med. 1991; 114: 845-854
- Guidelines for the management of intravascular catheter–related infections.Clin Infect Dis. 2001; 32: 1249-1272
- Infectious disease epidemiology.in: Rothman K.J. Greenland S. Lash T.L. Modern Epidemiology. 3rd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2008: 551
- Phlebitis due to venous catheters, causes and occurrence.Ugeskrift for Laeger. 2000; 162 (in German): 4531-4534
- Prospective surveillance of phlebitis associated with peripheral intravenous catheters.Am J Infect Control. 2006; 34: 308-312
- Relationship between peripheral intravenous catheter dwell time and the development of phlebitis and infiltration.J Infus Nurs. 2001; 24: 332-341
- Prevention of peripheral venous catheter complications with an intravenous therapy team: a randomized control trial.Arch Intern Med. 1998; 158: 473-477
- Impact of a dedicated infusion therapy team on the reduction of catheter-related nosocomial infections.J Infus Nur. 2003; 26: 362-366
This study was sponsored by the Medical Research Committee at Cathay General Hospital (Grant 9302). The authors declare no conflicts of interest.