Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Estimating health care-associated infections and deaths in US hospitals, 2002.Public Health Rep. 2007; 122: 160-166
- Burden of endemic health-care-associated infection in developing countries: systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2011; 377: 228-241
- Guideline for hand hygiene in health-care settings: recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force. Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America/Association for Professionals in Infection Control/Infectious Diseases Society of America.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2002; 51: 1-45
World Health Organization. WHO guidelines on hand hygiene in healthcare. 2009. Available from: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2009/9789241597906_eng.pdf. Accessed August 27, 2013.
- Systematic review of studies on compliance with hand hygiene guidelines in hospital care.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 283-294
World Health Organization. Guide to implementation: a guide to the implementation of the WHO multimodal hand hygiene improvement strategy. 2009. Available from: http://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Implementation.pdf. Accessed August 27, 2013.
World Health Organization. How to improve hand hygiene: 5 critical components. 2013. Available from: http://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/background/how/en/index.html. Accessed August 27, 2013.
World Health Organization. Hand hygiene self-assessment framework 2010. Available from: http://www.who.int/gpsc/country_work/hhsa_framework_October_2010.pdf. Accessed August 27, 2013.
- Testing the WHO hand hygiene self-assessment framework for usability and reliability.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 83: 30-35
World Health Organization. SAVE LIVES Clean Your Hands: WHO’s global annual campaign. 2009. Available from: http://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/en/. Accessed August 27, 2013.
World Health Organization. Clean Care is Safer Care: registration update. 2013. Available from: http://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/registration_update/en/index.html. Accessed August 27, 2013.
- Achievable benchmarks of care: the ABCs of benchmarking.J Eval Clin Pract. 1999; 5: 269-281
World Health Organization. WHO hand hygiene self-assessment framework global survey: summary report. 2012. Available from: http://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/summary_report_HHSAF_global_survey_May12.pdf. Accessed August 27, 2013.
- Dissemination of the CDC’s hand hygiene guideline and impact on infection rates.Am J Infect Control. 2007; 35: 666-675
- Prepackaged hand hygiene educational tools facilitate implementation.Am J Infect Control. 2006; 34: 152-154
- Infection prevention promotion program based on the PRECEDE model: improving hand hygiene behaviors among healthcare personnel.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 144-151
- Sustained reduction in the clinical incidence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization or infection associated with a multifaceted infection control intervention.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 1-8
- Dissemination and sustainability of a hospital-wide hand hygiene program emphasizing positive reinforcement.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 59-66
- Keeping patients safe: an interventional hand hygiene study at an oncology center.Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2007; 11: 643-646
- Chicago Antimicrobial Resistance Project. Effect of education on hand hygiene beliefs and practices: a 5-year program.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 88-91
- Multicenter intervention program to increase adherence to hand hygiene recommendations and glove use and to reduce the incidence of antimicrobial resistance.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 42-49
- Hand hygiene in long-term care facilities: a multicenter study of knowledge, attitudes, practices, and barriers.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 758-762
- Clean Hands for Life: results of a large, multicentre, multifaceted, social marketing hand-hygiene campaign.J Hosp Infect. 2010; 74: 225-231
- Effectiveness of a hospital-wide programme to improve compliance with hand hygiene.Lancet. 2000; 356: 1307-1312
- Pathways to clean hands: highlights of successful hand hygiene implementation strategies in Europe.Euro Surveill. 2010; 15: 6
- National hand hygiene campaigns in Europe, 2000-2009.Euro Surveill. 2009; 14: 30
- The role of the champion in infection prevention: results from a multisite qualitative study.Qual Saf Health Care. 2009; 18: 434-440
- Improving healthcare worker hand hygiene adherence before patient contact: a before-and-after five-unit multimodal intervention in Tuscany.Qual Saf Health Care. 2009; 18: 429-433
- Utilizing improvement science methods to improve physician compliance with proper hand hygiene.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: e1042-e1050
- Patient empowerment and multimodal hand hygiene promotion: a win-win strategy.Am J Med Qual. 2011; 26: 10-17
- Consumer attitudes about health care-acquired infections and hand hygiene.Am J Med Qual. 2006; 21: 342-346
- Brief report: hospitalized patients’ attitudes about and participation in error prevention.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 367-370
World Health Organization. Tips for implementing a successful patient participation programme. 2013. Available from: http://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Tips-for-patient-participation.pdf. Accessed August 27, 2013.
World Health Organization. Tips for patients to participate in hand hygiene improvement. 2013. Available from: http://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/tips-for-patients.pdf. Accessed August 27, 2013.
- The efficacy of infection surveillance and control programs in preventing nosocomial infections in US hospitals.Am J Epidemiol. 1985; 121: 182-205
- Staffing requirements for infection control programs in US health care facilities: Delphi project.Am J Infect Control. 2002; 30: 321-333
- Promoting hand hygiene in healthcare through national/subnational campaigns.J Hosp Infect. 2011; 77: 294-298
- Clean Care is Safer Care: a worldwide priority.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1246-1247
World Health Organization. WHO Clean Hands Net, a network of campaigning countries 2012; Available from: http://www.who.int/gpsc/national_campaigns/en/. Accessed August 27, 2013.
- “My five moments for hand hygiene”: a user-centred design approach to understand, train, monitor and report hand hygiene.J Hosp Infect. 2007; 67: 9-21
B. Allegranzi and L. Conway contributed equally to this article.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.