- •Hesitant parents are more likely to conduct intra-family discussion on vaccination.
- •They are also more likely to have disagreements regarding vaccination.
- •Jewish parents are more likely to be vaccination-hesitant.
- •Muslim parents are more likely to be pro-vaccination.
- •Risk must be communicated to all groups, including those who are pro-vaccination.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- The rise (and fall?) of parental vaccine hesitancy.Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2013; 9: 1755-1762
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR).(Vaccination Rates Among Children in Kindergarten—United States, 2012-13 School Year, August 2)2013
- Individualism, acceptance and differentiation as attitude traits in the public's response to vaccination.Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2012; 8: 1272-1282
- Vaccine hesitancy as self-determination: an Israeli perspective.Isr J Health Policy Res. 2016; 5: 13
- Why do parents who usually vaccinate their children hesitate or refuse? General good vs. individual risk.J Risk Res. 2016; 19: 405-424
- Acceptance on the move: public reaction to shifting vaccination realities.Hum Vaccin. 2011; 7: 1261-1270
- How to communicate with vaccine-hesitant parents.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: S127-33
- Vaccine attitudes, concerns, and information sources reported by parents of young children: results from the 2009 HealthStyles survey.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: S92-9
- Risk factors of underutilization of childhood immunizations in ultraorthodox Jewish communities in Israel despite high access to health care services.Vaccine. 2012; 30: 2109-2115
- “Trusting blindly can be the biggest risk of all”: organised resistance to childhood vaccination in the UK.Sociol Health Illn. 2007; 29: 198-215
- Confidence in vaccination: a parent model.Vaccine. 2005; 23: 2486-2493
- Vaccine refusal, mandatory immunization, and the risks of vaccine-preventable diseases.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1981-1988
- Navigating parental vaccine hesitancy.Pediatr Ann. 2010; 39: 476-482
- Qualitative analysis of mothers' decision-making about vaccines for infants: the importance of trust.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: 1532-1541
- Using behavioral insights to increase vaccination policy effectiveness.Policy Insights Behav Brain Sci. 2015; 2: 61-73
- Development of a survey to identify vaccine-hesitant parents: the parent attitudes about childhood vaccines survey.Hum Vaccin. 2011; 7: 419-425
- Validity and reliability of a survey to identify vaccine-hesitant parents.Vaccine. 2011; 29: 6598-6605
- Immunization attitudes and beliefs among parents: beyond a dichotomous perspective.Am J Health Behav. 2005; 29: 81-92
- How parents make decisions about their children's vaccinations.Vaccine. 2013; 31: 5466-5470
- Parents' vaccination comprehension and decisions.Vaccine. 2008; 26: 1595-1607
- Communicating with parents about vaccination: a framework for health professionals.BMC Pediatr. 2012; 12: 154
- Parental decision-making in childhood vaccination.Vaccine. 2006; 24: 4041-4046
- Outcome knowledge, regret, and omission bias.Organ Behav Hum Dec. 1995; 64: 119-127
- Misleading media reporting? The MMR story.Nat Rev Immunol. 2003; 3: 913-918
- Increasing and conditioning child.(Jerusalem; 2009 June 23)2009
ICDC—State of Israel Ministry of Health. Israel Health Status 2010. Ramat Gan: ICDC—Israel Center for Disease Control; August 2011. Contract No.: Publication 333.
- Diagnosing the determinants of vaccine hesitancy in specific subgroups: the Guide to Tailoring Immunization Programmes (TIP).Vaccine. 2015; 33: 4176-4179
- How to deal with vaccine hesitancy?.Vaccine. 2015; 33: 4215-4217
- Multiple modernities and multiple proximities: McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken in Chinese television commercials.Int Commun Gaz. 2010; 72: 619-633
- Psychological statistics using SPSS for windows.Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (NJ)2001
- Decision-making on childhood vaccination by highly educated parents.Rev Saude Publica. 2015; 49
- Judgment under uncertainty: heuristics and biases.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge1982
- Risk as analysis and risk as feelings: some thoughts about affect, reason, risk and rationality.Risk Anal. 2004; 24: 311-322
- Cognitive processes and the decisions of some parents to forego pertussis vaccination for their children.J Clin Epidemiol. 1996; 49: 697-703
- Ambiguity and rationality.J Behav Decis Mak. 1988; 3: 263-277
- Risk, ambiguity and the savage axioms.Q J Econ. 1961; 75: 643-669
- Perception of risk: the influence of general trust, and general confidence.J Risk Res. 2005; 8: 145-156
- Managing social norms for persuasive impact.Soc Influence. 2006; 1: 3-15
- Stage of adoption of the human papillomavirus vaccine among college women.Prev Med. 2009; 48: 420-425
This research was conducted with funding from the European Union Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007-2013) under grant agreement ASSET (Action plan on Science in Society related issues in Epidemics and Total pandemics) No. 612236 .
Conflicts of interest: None to report.