Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Historical perspectives for the new millennium.in: Wenzel R.P. Chapter I. Prevention and control of nosocomial infections. 4th ed. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2003: 3-14
- Tuberculosis then and now: a personal perspective on the last 50 years.Ann Intern Med. 1997; 126: 237-243
- Guideline for isolation precautions in hospitals.Infect Control. 1983; 4: 245-325
- Psychological adaptation of patients during treatment of acute leukaemia in life island isolator.Adv Exp Med Biol. 1969; 3: 27-34
- and the Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Guideline for isolation precautions in hospitals.Am J Infect Control. 1996; 24: 24-52
- The psychological consequences of source isolation: a review of the literature.J Clin Nurs. 1999; 8: 13-21
- Stop the ritual of tracing colonized people.BMJ. 1997; 314: 665-666
- SHEA. SHEA guideline for preventing nosocomial transmission of multidrug-resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus and enterococcus.Am J Infect Control. 2007; 35: 73-85
- Isolation measures in the hospital management of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA): systemic review of the literature.BMJ. 2004; 329: 533
- Effectiveness of barrier precautions and surveillance cultures to control transmission of multidrug-resistant organisms: a systemic review of the literature.Am J Infect Control. 2006; 34: 484-494
- Legislative mandates for use of active surveillance cultures to screen for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and vancomycin-resistant enterococci: position statement from the joint SHEA and APIC Task Force.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 249-260
Siegel JD, Rhinehart E, Jackson M, Chiarello L, and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee, 2007 guideline for isolation precautions: preventing transmission of infectious agents in healthcare settings, June 2007. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease control and prevention.
Sack K. Deadly bacteria found to be more common. New York Times, October 17, 2007. Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/17/health/17infect.html?hp.
- What to think if the results of the National Institutes of Health randomized trail of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and vancomycin-resistant enterococcus control measures are negative (and other advice to young epidemiologists): a review and an au revoir.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2006; 27: 1096-1106
- Impact of contact isolation on health care workers at a tertiary care center.Am J Infect Control. 2006; 34: 408-413
Illinois General Assembly. Bill HB0378. 2007. Available at: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/95/HB/PDF/09500HB0378lv.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2008.
Kussman MJ. VHA directive 2007-002. Department of Veterans Affairs Veterans Health Administration. January 12, 2007. Available at: http://www1.va.gov/VHAPUBLICATIONS/publications.cfm?pub=1.
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) nares colonization at admission and its effect on subsequent MRSA infection.Clin Infect Dis. 2004; 39: 776-782
- High prevalence of carriage of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus at hospital admission in elderly patients: implications for infection control strategies.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2005; 26: 121-126
- What proportion of hospital patients colonized with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus are identified by clinical microbiological cultures?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2006; 27: 116-121
- Look before you leap: active surveillance for multidrug-resistant organisms.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: 1101-1107
- Adverse effects of contact isolation.Lancet. 1999; 354: 1177-1178
- Do physicians examine patients in contact isolation less frequently?.Am J Infect Control. 2003; 31: 354-357
- Contact isolation in surgical patients: a barrier to care?.Surgery. 2003; 134: 180-187
- Reduction of nosocomial infection during pediatric intensive care by protective isolation.N Engl J Med. 1989; 320: 1714-1721
- A program to remove patients from unnecessary contact precautions.J Clin Outcomes Manage. 2002; 9: 553-556
- Safety of patients isolated for infection control.JAMA. 2003; 290: 1899-1905
- Comparison of mortality associated with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia: a meta-analysis.Clin Infect Dis. 2003; 36: 53-59
- The experience of infectious patients in isolation.Nurs Times. 1993; 89: 53-56
- Depression in elderly hospitalized patients with medical illness.Arch Intern Med. 1988; 148: 1929-1936
- Major depressive disorder in hospitalized medically ill patients: an examination of young and elderly male veterans.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39: 881-890
- Medical illness, past depression, and present depression: a predictive triad for in-hospital mortality.Am J Psychiatry. 2001; 158: 43-48
- Natural history of symptoms of depression and anxiety during inpatient treatment on general medicine wards.J Gen Intern Med. 1992; 7: 287-293
- Psychological impact of the management of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in patients with spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 1997; 35: 617-619
- Analysis of the stressful effects of hospitalization and source isolation on coping and psychological constructs.Int J Nurs Pract. 1998; 4: 84-96
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: psychological impact of hospitalization and isolation in an older adult population.J Hosp Infect. 2001; 49: 250-254
- Anxiety and depression in hospitalized patients in resistant organism isolation.South Med J. 2003; 96: 141-145
- Relation between symptoms of depression and health status outcomes in acutely ill hospitalized older persons.Ann Intern Med. 1997; 126: 417-425
- Contact isolation for infection control in hospitalized patients: is patient satisfaction affected?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: 275-278
- Infection control: reducing the psychological effects of isolation.Br J Nurs. 2000; 9: 162-170
- The pros and cons of isolation and containment.J Hosp Infect. 1999; 43: 19-23
Joint Commission Resources 2004. Available at: http://www.jcrinc.com/26813/newsletters/7215/. Accessed February 1, 2008.
- Nurse staffing levels and the quality of care in hospitals.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 1715-1722
- STROBE Initiative. The Strengthening of the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) guidelines for reporting observational studies.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 147: 573-577
- Psychological effects of isolation nursing (1): mood disturbance.Nurs Stand. 2000; 14: 36-38
- Psychological effects of isolation nursing (2): patient satisfaction.Nurs Stand. 2000; 14: 32-36
- Comparing patient-reported hospital events with medical record review: do patients know something hospitals do not?.Ann Intern Med. 2008; 149: 100-108
Supported by National Institutes of Health T32 AI07613 (to D.J.M.) and US Department of Veterans Affairs, Health Services Research, and Development Service grants RCD-02-026-2 and IIR-05-123-1 (to E.N.P.).
Conflicts of interest: No conflicts of interest to report.