- CDC guideline for infection control in hospital personnel.Infect Control. 1983; 4: 326-349
- Spread and prevention of some common viral infections in community facilities and domestic homes.J Appl Microbiol. 2001; 91: 7-21
- Bacterial contamination on surfaces of public areas in hospitals.J Hosp Infect. 2010; 74: 195-196
- General principals and historical aspects.in: Horsfall Jr., F.L. Tamm I. Viral and rickettsial infections of man. Lippincott, New York1965: 1-10
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Clean hands save lives. July 27, 2010. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/cleanhands/. Accessed September 23, 2010.
Institute for Healthcare Improvement. How-to guide: improving handhygiene. A guide for improving practices among health care workers. March 4, 2006. Available from: http://www.ihi.org/IHI/Topics/CriticalCare/IntensiveCare/Tools/HowtoGuideImprovingHandHygiene.htm. Accessed July 15, 2010.
- Risk of death from methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia: a meta-analysis.Med J Aust. 2001; 175: 264-267
- Hand washing frequencies and procedures used in retail food services.J Food Prot. 2008; 71: 1641-1650
- Hand hygiene: a frequently missed lifesaving opportunity during patient care.Mayo Clinic Proc. 2004; 79: 109-116
- Comparative efficacy of hand hygiene agents in the reduction of bacterial agents and viruses.Am J Infect Control. 2005; 33: 67-77
- Effectiveness of a hospital-wide programme to improve compliance with hand hygiene.Lancet. 2000; 356: 1307-1312
- Hand hygiene compliance in healthcare workers.J Hosp Infect. 2006; 64: 205-209
- Why don’t doctors wash their hands? A correlational study of thinking styles and hand hygiene.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 36: 399-406
- Frequency and duration of handwashing in an intensive care unit.Am J Infect Control. 1990; 18: 77-81
- Three successful interventions in health care workers that improve compliance with hand hygiene: is sustained replication possible?.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 36: 349-355
- Is compliance with hand disinfection in the intensive care unit related to work experience?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 362-364
- Influence of role models and hospital design on hand hygiene of healthcare workers.Emerg Infect Dis. 2003; 9: 217-223
- The effect of moving to a new hospital facility on the prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Am J Infect Control. 2004; 32: 262-267
- Hand hygiene posters: selling the message.J Hosp Infect. 2005; 59: 77-82
- The Clean Your Hands Campaign: critiquing policy and evidence base.J Hosp Infect. 2007; 65: 95-101
- Can the emotion of disgust be harnessed to promote hand hygiene? Experimental and field-based tests.Soc Sci Med. 2009; 68: 1006-1012
- Healthcare workers’ hand decontamination practices: compliance with recommended guidelines.J Adv Nurs. 2003; 51: 208-216
- Social marketing analysis of 20 (corrected) years of hand hygiene promotion.Infect Control Hosp Epidemio. 2008; 29: 262-270
- WHO guidelines on hand hygiene in health care (advanced draft).WHO Press, Geneva2005 (Available from)Accessed January 7, 2011)
US Food and Drug Administration. Management and personnel. Chapter 2. In: 2005 Food Code. 2005. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/RetailFoodProtection/FoodCode/FoodCode2001/ucm089128.htm. Accessed March 13, 2009.
- Guideline for hand hygiene in health-care settings: recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force.MMWR. 2006; 51 (Available from) (Accessed February 3, 2009)
- Assessment of food safety practices of food service food handlers (risk assessment data): testing a communication intervention (evaluation of tools).J Food Prot. 2010; 73: 1101-1107
- Cross-sectional survey of hand-hygiene compliance and attitudes of health care workers and visitors in the intensive care units at King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital.J Med Assoc Thai. 2005; 88: 287-293
- Proper hand washing techniques in public restrooms: differences in gender, race, signage and time of day.Am J Health Ed. 2004; 35: 86-89
- Hand hygiene in routine glaucoma clinics.Br J Opthalmol. 2005; 89: 1541-1542
- The effect of a continuous education program on handwashing compliance among healthcare workers in an intensive care unit.J Infect Prev. 2004; 5: 15-18
- The influence of sex, handedness, and washing on the diversity of hand surface bacteria.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008; 105: 17994-17999
- Gender influences handwashing rates in the critical care unit.Am J Infect Control. 2001; 29: 395-399
- Experimental pretesting of hand-washing interventions in a natural setting.Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: S405-S411
- The effectiveness of interventions aimed at increasing handwashing in healthcare workers—a systematic review.J Hosp Infect. 2001; 47: 173-180
- Using peer feedback to improve handwashing and glove usage among Thai healthcare workers.Am J of Infect Control. 2000; 28: 365-369
Conley A, DeRusha M, Peden B. Peer pressure in the potty: the relationship between the presence of others and an individual’s decision to wash their hands. Poster. University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. May 1, 2007. Available from: http://minds.wisconsin.edu/handle/1793/23118. Accessed June 21, 2010.
- Handwashing among female college students.Am J Infect Control. 2003; 31: 67-71
- Marketing hygiene behaviors: the impact of different communication channels on reported handwashing behavior of women in Ghana.Health Ed Res. 2008; 23: 392-401
- An organizational climate intervention associated with increased handwashing and decreased nosocomial infections.Behav Med. 2000; 26: 14-22
- Handwashing patterns in medical intensive care units.N Engl Med. 1981; 304: 1465-1466
- Hand washing practices in an intensive care unit: the effects of an education program and its relationship to infection rates.Am J Infect Control. 1989; 17: 330-339
- Increasing hand washing in an intensive care unit.Infect Control. 1986; 7: 259-262
Supported by One Health Kansas and the Kansas Health Foundation .
Conflicts of interest: None to report.