Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Infection hazard from stethoscopes in hospital.Lancet. 1972; 1: 1214-1215
- Stethoscopes as possible vectors of infection by staphylococci.BMJ. 1992; 305: 1573-1574
- Stethoscopes: a potential vector of infection?.Ann Emerg Med. 1995; 26: 296-299
- Infection hazard from stethoscopes.Lancet. 1972; 2: 598-599
- Hand washing: stethoscopes and white coats are sources of nosocomial infection.BMJ. 1999; 319: 519
- What’s growing on your stethoscope? (And what you can do about it).J Fam Pract. 2009; 58: 404-409
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus fomite survival.Clin Lab Sci. 2009; 22: 34-38
- Stethoscopes and otoscopes: a potential vector of infection?.Fam Pract. 1997; 14: 446-449
- The stethoscope as a vector of infectious diseases in the paediatric division.Acta Paediatr. 2008; 97: 1253-1255
- Evaluation of dedicated stethoscopes as a potential source of nosocomial pathogens.Am J Infect Control. 2002; 30: 499-502
- Point-prevalence of contamination of health care workers’ stethoscopes with vancomycin-resistant enterococci at two teaching hospitals in Cleveland, Ohio.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000; 21: 756
- Contamination of gowns, gloves, and stethoscopes with vancomycin-resistant enterococci.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2001; 22: 560-564
- Bacterial contamination of stethoscopes on the intensive care unit.Anaesthesia. 2009; 64: 620-624
- Bacterial contamination of hospital physicians’ stethoscopes.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999; 20: 626-628
- Efficacy of alcohol-based hand rubs in the disinfection of stethoscopes.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 870-872
- Committee on Infectious Diseases. Infection prevention and control in pediatric ambulatory settings.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: 650-665
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Rutala WA, Weber DJ, and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). Guideline for disinfection and sterilization in healthcare facilities, 2008. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/pdf/guidelines/Disinfection_Nov_2008.pdf. Accessed September 22, 2011.
- Outbreak of carbapenem-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa producing VIM-8, a novel metallo-β-lactamase, in a tertiary care center in Cali, Colombia.J Clin Microbiol. 2004; 42: 5094-5101
- A cluster of nosocomial Klebsiella pneumoniae bloodstream infections in a neonatal intensive care department: identification of transmission and intervention.Am J Infect Control. 2003; 31: 424-430
- Outbreak of extended-spectrum β-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in a neonatal intensive care unit linked to artificial nails.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2004; 25: 210-215
- Evaluation of stethoscopes as vectors of Clostridium difficile and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 96-98
J.M., R.K.V.S., and J.Z. contributed equally to this paper.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.