In Jordan's nursing schools, infection prevention precautions are not taught in special courses. Instead, most nursing schools include the topic as a 1-hour lecture within the clinical courses, which is believed to be insufficient. This study aimed to test the effectiveness of a nursing infection prevention educational program presented to nursing students before graduation, to promote their knowledge of infection prevention precautions.
A true experimental design was used to examine the effects of the infection prevention educational program on students' educational knowledge. This study involved a random assignment of subjects to experimental and control groups, and administration of the pretest and the posttest to all subjects in both groups separately.
Participants in the experimental group demonstrated significantly better knowledge (t = 19.15; df = 95; P = .000) and attitude scores (t = 2.29; df = 46; P = .04) than participants in the control group after particpating in the infection prevention educational program. However, compliance scores were not significantly differernt between the 2 groups (t = 1.92; df = 95; P = .067); indeed, compliance was found to be significant within the experimental group (t = 10.65; df = 46; P = .000).
It is important that nursing students be competent in infection prevention precautions; however, there may be deficits in their education in this area. The nursing curriculum should include additional emphasis on practice as a means to help translate theory into clinical behavior.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Healthcare personnel and hand decontamination in intensive care units: knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors in Italy.J Hosp Infect. 2002; 51: 226-232
- Clean Care Is Safer Care: The Global Patient Safety Challenge, 2005-2006.Int J Infect Dis. 2006; 10: 419-424
- Guideline for hand hygiene in healthcare settings: Recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force.Morb Mortal Recomm Rep. 2002; 51: 1-48
- The socio-economic burden of hospital-acquired infection.Public Health Laboratory Service, London [UK]1999
- Exploring the hand hygiene competence of student nurses: a case of flawed self-assessment.Nurse Educ Today. 2009; 29: 380-388
- Infection control: basic concept and training.2nd ed. International Federation of Infection Control, Portadown [North Ireland]2003 (pp. 25–35)
- Nurses' knowledge of and compliance with universal precautions in an acute care hospital.Int J Nurs Stud. 2002; 39: 157-163
- Infection control hazards and near-misses reported by nursing students.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 38: 811-816
- Assessment of infection control knowledge, attitude and practice among healthcare workers during the Hajj period of the Islamic year 1423.Scand J Infect Dis. 2007; 39: 1018-1024
- Factors associated with personal protection equipment use and hand hygiene among hemodialysis staff.Am J Infect Control. 2006; 34: 100-107
- Predictors of compliance hand washing practice among healthcare professionals.Healthc Infect. 2011; 16: 79-84
- An evaluation of nurses' clinical teaching role in Turkey.Nurse Educ Today. 2003; 23: 27-33
- Assessing methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus knowledge among nursing students.Nurse Educ Today. 2010; 30: 789-793
- Taiwanese nursing students' knowledge, application and confidence with standard and additional precautions in infection control.J Clin Nurs. 2009; 18: 1105-1112
- How much do medical students know about infection control?.J Hosp Infect. 2006; 64: 366-370
- Hygienic hand washing among nursing students in Turkey.Appl Nurs Res. 2008; 21: 207-211
- The role of education in the prevention and control of infection: a review of the literature.Nurse Educ Today. 2011; 31: 9-17
- Nursing practice: hospital and home. The Adult, vol XVII.Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh [UK]2006
- The infection control education needs of nursing students: an interview study with students and mentors.Nurse Educ Today. 2011; 31: 819-824
- The most successful method in teaching nursing students infection control, E-learning or lecture?.Nurse Educ Today. 2008; 28: 798-806
- A comparison of the hand hygiene knowledge, beliefs, and practices of Greek nursing and medical students.Am J Infect Control. 2009; 38: 75-77
- The effect of a continuous educational program on handwashing compliance among healthcare workers in an intensive care unit.Br J Infect Control. 2004; 5: 15-18
- Handwashing program for the prevention of nosocomial infections in a neonatal intensive care unit.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2004; 25: 742-746
- Improving infection control practices of nurses on a telemetry unit.Crit Care Nurse. 2009; 29: e13
- Impact of a mandatory infection control education program on nosocomial acquisition of methicillin- resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009; 30: 249-256
- Sustained reductions in neonatal nosocomial infection rates following a comprehensive infection control intervention.J Perinatol. 2006; 26: 176-179
- Infection control in countries with limited resources.in: Mayhall D.A. Hospital epidemiology and infection control. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia [PA]1999
- Hepatitis B epidemiology in Asia, the Middle East and Africa.Vaccine. 2000; 18: S20-S22
- Effect of an evidence-based pediatric fever education program on emergency RNs' knowledge.Accid Emerg Nurs. 2007; 15: 10-19
- Effect of a self-directed learning package on emergency RNs' knowledge of assessment of oxygenation and use of supplemental oxygen.Nurs Health Sci. 2005; 7: 199-208
- Statistical power analysis using G*Power 3.1: test for correlation and regression analysis.Behav Res Methods. 2009; 41: 1149-1160
- Investigating the knowledge, attitudes and practice patterns of operating room staff towards standard and transmission-based precautions: results of a cluster analysis.J Clin Nurs. 2007; 17: 1051-1062
- King's theory of goal attainment in practice.Nurs Sci Q. 1997; 10: 180-185
- Nursing students' knowledge and practice of infection control precautions: an educational intervention.J Adv Nurs. 2009; 65: 2142-2149
- Impact of an online course on infection control and prevention competencies.J Adv Nurs. 2008; 63: 175-180
- Knowledge and performance of the universal precautions by nursing and medical students in Korea.Am J Infect Control. 2001; 29: 295-300
Published online: October 04, 2012
This research was funded by the University of Jordan.
Conflict of interest: None to report.
© 2013 Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.