Susceptible health care workers are at risk of acquiring and transmitting mumps to or from patients. A survey was carried out in 639 health care workers from tertiary public hospitals and primary care centers in the Catalonia region of Spain during 2009 to determine the prevalence of immunity to mumps among this group. The prevalence of immune health care workers was 87.5% (95% confidence interval, 84.7-89.9). Vaccination with 2 doses of vaccine should be reinforced in health care workers to minimize the risk of mumps transmission in health care settings.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Mumps vaccine.in: Plotkin S. Orenstein W. Offit P. Vaccines. 5th ed. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia [PA]2008: 435-465
- Mumps in the era of vaccines.CMAJ. 1999; 160: 865-866
- Mumps transmission in hospitals.Arch Intern Med. 1990; 150: 47-49
- Immunization of health-care personnel: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).MMWR Recomm Rep. 2011; 60: 1-45
- Seroprevalence of measles, rubella and mumps in Catalonia (Spain): results of a cross-sectional study.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2006; 25: 310-317
- Serological survey of mumps immunity among healthcare workers in Connecticut, December 2006-May 2007.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009; 30: 202-203
- Hospital and clinical laboratory response to mumps exposures.LabMedicine. 2007; 38: 285-288
- Prevalence of measles, rubella, mumps and varicella antibodies among healthcare workers in Japan.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2004; 25: 591-594
- Cost-effectiveness of prevaccination screening of health care workers for immunity to measles, rubella and mumps.Med J Aust. 1994; 160: 478-482
- Susceptibility of healthcare workers to measles, mumps, rubella and varicella.J Hosp Infect. 2002; 51: 133-135
- Measles among healthcare workers: a potential for nosocomial outbreaks.Eurosurveill. 2011; 16 (pii:19764)
- CDC. Updated recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) for the control and elimination of mumps.MMWR. 2006; 55: 629-630
Published online: October 08, 2012
Conflicts of interest: This work was funded by the Public Health Department, Department of Health (Generalitat of Catalonia), CIBER Epidemiología y Salud Pública (CIBERESP) Spain, and AGAUR (expedient No. 2009 SGR 42), Barcelona.
© 2013 Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.