The impact of a new Clostridium difficile nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) on antibiotic utilization in patients with suspected C difficile infection was assessed. This single-center, cross-sectional study of 270 patients demonstrated that the use of NAAT decreased antibiotic expenditure by reducing prolonged empiric days of therapy in these patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Clinical practice guidelines for Clostridium difficile infection in adults: 2010 update by the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) and the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA).Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 431-455
- Effective detection of toxigenic Clostridium difficile by a two-step algorithm including tests for antigen and cytotoxin.J Clin Microbiol. 2006; 44: 1145-1149
- Comparison of a commercial real-time PCR assay for tcdB detection to a cell culture cytotoxicity assay and toxigenic culture for direct detection of toxin-producing Clostridium difficile in clinical samples.J Clin Microbiol. 2009; 47: 373-378
- Comparison of nine commercially available Clostridium difficile toxin detection assays, a real-time PCR assay for C difficile tcdB, and a glutamate dehydrogenase detection assay to cytotoxin testing and cytotoxigenic culture methods.J Clin Microbiol. 2009; 47: 3211-3217
- Comparison of a rapid molecular method, the BD Gene-Ohm Cdiff assay, to the most frequently used laboratory tests for detection of toxin-producing Clostridium difficile in diarrheal feces.J Clin Microbiol. 2009; 47: 3478-3481
- Impact of strain type on detection of toxigenic Clostridium difficile: comparision of molecular diagnostic and enzyme immunoassay approaches.J Clin Microbiol. 2010; 48: 3719
- Clostridium difficile testing in the clinical laboratory by use of multiple testing algorithms.J Clin Microbiol. 2010; 48: 889-893
- Evaluation of diagnostic tests for Clostridium difficile disease.J Clin Microbiol. 2010; 48: 606-860
illumigene. Package insert. Cincinnati [OH]: Meridian Bioscience Inc; 2011.
Published online: October 08, 2012
Conflicts of interest: None to report.
© 2013 Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.