Background and objective
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Estimating healthcare-associated infections and deaths in U.S. hospitals, 2002.Public Health Rep. 2007; 122: 160-166
Scott RD. The direct medical costs of healthcare-associated infections in U.S. hospitals and the benefits of prevention, 2009. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/pdfs/hai/Scott_CostPaper.pdf. Accessed May 24, 2012.
Chen P. Losing touch with the patient. Available from: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/21/health/views/21chen.html. Accessed May 24, 2012.
Parker-Pope T. Stomach bug crystallizes an antibiotic treatment. Available from: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/14/health/14well.html.
Kristof N. The spread of superbugs. Available from: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/opinion/07kristof.html. Accessed May 24, 2012.
- Health care-associated clostridium difficile infection in adults admitted to acute care hospitals in Canada: a Canadian Nosocomial Infection Surveillance Program study.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 48: 568-576
- Invasive methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in the United States.JAMA. 2007; 298: 1763-1767
- Clostridium difficile: responding to a new threat from an old enemy.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2005; 26: 672-675
- Evaluation of patient participation in a patient empowerment initiative to improve hand hygiene practices in a Veterans Affairs Medical Center.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 37: 117-120
- Evaluation of a patient education model for increasing hand hygiene compliance in an inpatient rehabilitation unit.Am J Infect Control. 2004; 32: 235-238
- Patient education model for increasing handwashing compliance.Am J Infect Control. 1999; 27: 309-314
The Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America. FAQs about Clostridium difficile. Available from: http://www.shea-online.org/Assets/files/patient%20guides/NNL_C-Diff.pdf. Accessed May 24, 2012.
FAQs About MRSA. Available from: http://www.shea-online.org/Assets/files/patient%20guides/NNL_MRSA.pdf. Accessed May 24, 2012.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.