This article describes an investigation to identify risk factors for postoperative endophthalmitis caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa. A retrospective case-control study, including 8 cases and 24 controls operated from 2005 to 2009, was undertaken. The risk factors associated with P aeruginosa infection were a particular operating room (P = .003) and longer phacoemulsification duration (P = .001), suggesting that infection was not associated with patient characteristics but rather with the surgical environment and phacoemulsification duration.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Nosocomial outbreak of Pseudomonas aeruginosa endophthalmitis.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2006; 27: 1249-1251
- An outbreak of post-cataract surgery endophthalmitis caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa.Ophthalmology. 2009; 116: 2321-2326
- Endophthalmitis after cataract surgery: a nationwide prospective study evaluating incidence in relation to incision type and location.Ophthalmology. 2007; 114: 866-870
- Risk factors for acute endophthalmitis after cataract surgery: a population-based study.Ophthalmology. 2009; 116: 425-430
- Risk factors for endophthalmitis following cataract surgery: a retrospective case-control study.J Hosp Infect. 2005; 61: 251-256
- Incidence of endophthalmitis after cataract surgery (2002-2008) at a Brazilian university-hospital.Arq Bras Oftalmol. 2010; 73: 505-507
- The epidemiology of acute endophthalmitis after cataract surgery in an Asian population.Ophthalmology. 2004; 111: 699-705
- Acute endophthalmitis after cataract surgery: 250 consecutive cases treated at a tertiary referral center in the Netherlands.Am J Ophthalmol. 2010; 149: 482-487
- Epidemiologic surveillance of postoperative endophthalmitis in a specialized ophthalmologic center in São Paulo, Brazil.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: e1-e3
- ESCRS. Prophylaxis of postoperative endophthalmitis following cataract surgery: results of the ESCRS multicenter study and identification of risk factors.J Cataract Refract Surg. 2007; 33: 978-988
Published online: May 13, 2013
Conflict of interest: None to report.
© 2013 Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.