Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- The impact of surgical-site infections in the 1990s: attributable mortality, excess length of hospitalization, and extra costs.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999; 20: 725-730
- Estimating healthcare-associated infections and deaths in US hospitals, 2002.Public Health Rep. 2007; 122: 160-166
- Health and economic impact of surgical site infections diagnosed after hospital discharge.Emerg Infect Dis. 2003; 9: 196-203
- Surgical site infections: economic consequences for the health care system.Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2011; 396: 453-459
Scott R. The direct medical costs of healthcare-associated infections in the US hospitals and the benefits of prevention, 2009. Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, National Center for Preparedness, Detection, and Control of Infectious Diseases, Coordinating Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, March 2009. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/pdfs/hai/Scott_CostPaper.pdf. Accessed January 1, 2013.
FAQs about surgical site infections. The Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America. Available from: http://www.shea-online.org/Patients.aspx. Accessed January 1, 2013.
- Surveillance of surgical site infections at a tertiary care hospital in Greece: incidence, risk factors, microbiology, and impact.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 36: 732-738
- “SCIP”ping antibiotic prophylaxis guidelines in trauma: the consequences of noncompliance.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 73: 452-456
- Does an information leaflet about surgical site infection (SSI) improve recollection of information and satisfaction of patients? A randomized trial in patients scheduled for digestive surgery.World J Surg. 2011; 35: 1202-1213
Conflicts of interest: None to report.