Campaign fatigue was evident in a large hospital in Hong Kong when hand hygiene compliance remained just above 50% after 4 years of aggressive and varied promotional activities. A new innovative strategy was developed that directly involved the infection control link nurses both in formulating the strategy and in implementing the various proposed programs. The new strategy was successful in increasing hand hygiene compliance to 83%.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Clean care is safer care: a worldwide priority.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1246-1247
- WHO guidelines on hand hygiene in health care.Switzerland, Geneva2009 (Available from:)Accessed May 1, 2013)
World Health Organization. Hand hygiene technical reference manual. 2009. Available from: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2009/9789241598606_eng.pdf. Accessed May 1, 2013.
- The efficacy of the infection control liaison nurse.J Adv Nurs. 1990; 15: 1128-1131
- The role of the infection control link nurse.J Hosp Infect. 2003; 54: 251-257
- Delivering an infection control link nurse programme: implementation and evaluation of a flexible teaching approach.J Infect Prev. 2004; 5: 24-26
- Effectiveness of a hospital-wide programme to improve compliance with hand hygiene.Lancet. 2000; 356: 1307-1312
- Hand hygiene among physicians: performance, beliefs, and perceptions.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 141: 1-8
- Social power and the compliance of nurses and housekeeping staff with infection control policies.Am J Infect Control. 1991; 2: 42-44
Published online: July 25, 2013
Conflicts of interest: None to report.
© 2013 Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.