Samonella typhi usually causes gastrointestinal infections. Few reports in the literature described skin and soft tissue infections related to Salmonella species, especially in immunocompetent patients. Our case exhibited sternal abscess growing Salmonella typhi.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Splenic abscess, pleural effusion and severe anemia by Salmonella typhi.Kobe J Med Sci. 2000; 46: 201-204
- Spontaneous splenic rupture during typhoid fever.Int J Infect Dis. 2000; 4: 108-109
- Hepatic abscess caused by Salmonella typhi: diagnosis and management by percutaneous echo-guided needle aspiration.Ital J Gastroenterol. 1996; 28: 31-33
- Multiple Salmonella typhi subcutaneous abscesses in a sickle cell anemia patient.J Assoc Physicians India. 1996; 44: 563-564
- Abscess of the neck caused by Salmonella enteritidis.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2003; 129: 445-447
- Salmonella species (including typhoid fever).in: Mandell G.L. Douglas R.G. Bennett J.E. Principles and practice of infectious diseases. 3rd ed. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1990: 1700-1716
- Medical microbiology.15th ed. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1997
- Salmonella typhi iron uptake mutants are attenuated in mice.Infect Immun. 1994; 62: 4091-4094
- A rare case of Salmonella soft-tissue abscess.J Infect Chemother. 2001; 8: 185-186
- Focal Salmonella enteritidis infection in a patient with HIV infection and other multiple causes of immunodeficiency.Int J STD AIDS. 2008; 19: 491-492
- Invasive non-typhoidal salmonellosis in immunocompetent infants and children.Int J Infect Dis. 2007; 11: 36-39
Published online: July 25, 2013
Conflicts of interest: None to report.
Published by Elsevier Inc.