Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America for the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in adults and children: executive summary.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 52: 285-292
- Horizontal gene transfer and the genomics of enterococcal antibiotic resistance.Curr Opin Microbiol. 2010; 13: 632-639
- VanA-type vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009; 53: 4580-4587
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC reminds clinical laboratories and healthcare infection preventionists of their role in the search and containment ofvancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (VRSA). Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/settings/lab/vrsa_lab_search_containment.html. Accessed February 7, 2013.
- Dissemination of an enterococcus Inc18-like vanA plasmid associated with vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010; 54: 4314-4320
- Growing prevalence of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis in the region with the highest prevalence of vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 922-924
- Epidemiology of vancomycin-resistant enterococci in the community and the relevance of farm animals to human infection.J Hospital Infect. 1997; 37: 89-101
- Comparison of the clinical characteristics and outcomes associated with vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis and vancomycin-resistant E faecium bacteremia.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012; 56: 2452-2458
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Validation of a prognostic score in critically ill patients undergoing transport.Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1985; 291: 432-434
- Studies of illness in the aged. The index of ADL: a standardized measure of biological and psychosocial function.JAMA. 1963; 185: 914-919
- Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing; nineteenth informational supplement. Approved standard M100-S19.Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne [PA]2009
- Vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the United States, 2002-2006.Clin Infect Dis. 2008; 46: 668-674
- Risk factors and outcomes for vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus bloodstream infection in children.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 1038-1042
- The incidence of and clinical variables associated with vancomycin-resistant enterococcal colonization in mechanically ventilated patients.Chest. 1999; 115: 1085-1091
- Acquisition of vancomycin-resistant enterococci in internal medicine wards.Am J Infect Control. 2009; 37: 111-116
- Wounds, functional disability, and indwelling devices are associated with cocolonization by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and vancomycin-resistant enterococci in southeast Michigan.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 53: 1215-1222
- Recovery of both vancomycin-resistant enterococci and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from culture of a single clinical specimen from colonized or infected patients.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009; 30: 130-138
- The commonality of risk factors for nosocomial colonization and infection with antimicrobial-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, enterococcus, gram-negative bacilli, Clostridium difficile, and Candida.Ann Intern Med. 2002; 136: 834-844
- Risk factors for acquiring vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus on a burn surgery step-down unit.J Burn Care Res. 2010; 31: 269-279
- Epidemiology of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis: a case-case-control study.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013; 57: 49-55
A.M.O. and Y.L. contributed equally to this work.
K.S.K is supported by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (DMID protocol no. 10-0065). M.J.R is supported in part by National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (grant R21AI092055).
Conflict of interest: M.J.R. has received grant support, consulted for, or provided lectures for Clinical Therapeutics, Cubist Pharmaceuticals, and Forest Pharamaceuticals. None of the other authors has any conflicts of interest to disclose.