Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Postoperative infections after major heart surgery and prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia: a one-day European prevalence study (ESGNI-008).J Hosp Infect. 2006; 64: 224-230
- Epidemiology of intensive care unit (ICU)-acquired infections in a 14-month prospective cohort study in a single mixed Scandinavian university hospital ICU.Acta Anaesth Scand. 2006; 50 (1192-7)
- Objective surveillance definitions for ventilator-associated pneumonia.Crit Care Med. 2012; 40: 3154-3161
- Incidence rate and variable cost of nosocomial infections in different types of intensive care units.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009; 30: 39-46
- Hospital and long-term outcomes of ICU-treated severe community- and hospital-acquired, and ventilator-associated pneumonia patients.Acta Anaesth Scand. 2011; 55: 1254-1260
- Evidence-based guidelines for the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia: results of a knowledge test among intensive care nurses.Intensive Care Med. 2007; 33: 1463-1467
- Evidence-based guidelines for prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia: results of a knowledge test among European intensive care nurses.J Hosp Infect. 2008; 70: 180-185
- Critical care clinicians’ knowledge of evidence-based guidelines for preventing ventilator-associated pneumonia.Am J Crit Care. 2010; 19: 272-277
- Critical care nurses’ knowledge of, adherence to and barriers toward evidence-based guidelines for the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia – a survey study.Intensive Crit Care Nurs. 2013; 29: 216-227
- Nursing adherence with evidence-based guidelines for preventing ventilator-associated pneumonia.Crit Care Med. 2003; 31: 2693-2696
- Research priorities of adult intensive care nurses in 20 European countries: a Delphi study.J Adv Nurs. 2010; 67: 550-562
Siegel JD, Rhinehart E, Jackson M, Chiarello L, and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. 2007 Guideline for isolation precautions: preventing transmission of infectious agents in healthcare settings. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/pdf/isolation2007.pdf. Accessed December 31, 2013.
European Union. Council Recommendation of 9 June 2009 on patient safety, including the prevention and control of healthcare associated infections. Official J Eur Union 2009/C 151/1–6. Available from: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2009:151:0001:0006:EN:PDF. Accessed December 31, 2013.
- High-fidelity patient simulation.in: Bradshaw M.J. Lowenstein A.J. Innovative teaching strategies in nursing and related health professions. 4th ed. Jones and Bartlett Learning, Burlington [MA]2007: 197-214
- The evolution of simulation and its contribution to competency.J Contin Educ Nurs. 2008; 39: 74-80
- The future vision of simulation in health care.Qual Saf Health Care. 2004; 13: i2-i10
- Effectiveness of simulation-based education in critical care nurses’ continuing education: a systematic review.Clin Simul Nurs. 2013; 9: e355-e360
- Improving cardiopulmonary resuscitation quality and resuscitation training by combining audiovisual feedback and debriefing.Crit Care Med. 2008; 36: 2817-2822
- Changing health care worker behavior in relation to respiratory disease transmission with a novel training approach that uses biosimulation.Am J Infect Control. 2007; 35: 14-19
- Impact of simulation-based learning on medication error rates in critically ill patients.Intensive Care Med. 2010; 36: 1526-1531
- Short simulation training improves objective skills in established advanced practioners managing emergencies on the ward and surgical intensive care unit.J Trauma. 2011; 71: 330-338
- Effectiveness of human patient simulation education in improving infection control pracices – a systematic review.J Nurs Educ Pract. 2014; 4: 1-6
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): guidelines for preventing health-care-associated pneumonia. Recommendations of CDC and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. 2003.MMWR. 2004; 53: 1-36
- The 100,000 lives campaign: setting a goal and a deadline for improving health care quality. Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI).JAMA. 2006; 295: 324-327
- A European care bundle for prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia.Intensive Care Med. 2010; 36: 773-780
- Extending the CONSORT Statement to randomized trials of nonpharmacologic treatment: explanation and elaboration.Ann Intern Med. 2008; 148: 295-309
- Evaluation of endotracheal-suctioning practices of critical-care nurses – an observational correlation study.J Nurs Educ Pract. 2013; 3: 99-105
- Nursing research. Generating and assessing evidence for nursing practice.9th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia [PA]2011
Jansson M, Ala-Kokko T, Syrjälä H, Kyngäs H. The development and psychometric testing of ventilator bundle questionnaire and observation schedule. Am J Infect Control. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2013.11.007. In press.
- Excellence in performance and stress reduction during two different full scale simulator training courses: a pilot study.Resuscitation. 2009; 80: 919-924
- Effect of performance feedback on tracheal suctioning knowledge and skills: randomized controlled trial.J Adv Nurs. 2009; 65: 1423-1431
- Features of educational interventions that lead to compliance with hand hygiene in healthcare professionals within a hospital care setting.Med Teach. 2012; 34: e406-e420
- Measuring healthcare worker hand hygiene activity: current practices and emerging technologies.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 1016-1028
- First global patient safety challenge clean care is safer care.World Health Organization, Geneva [Switzerland]2009
- Searching for an optimal hand hygiene bundle: a meta-analysis.Clin Inf Dis. 2013; 5: 1-12
- A survey of European intensive care nurses’ knowledge levels.Intern J Nurs Stud. 2010; 49: 191-200
- The practice of nursing research: appraisal, synthesis, and generation of evidence.2nd ed. Saunders Elsevier, Philadelphia [PA]2009
- The research process in nursing.6th ed. Wiley-Blackwell, Hoboken [NJ]2010
- Assessment of attitudes of intensive care unit staff toward clinical practice guidelines.Dimens Crit Care Nurs. 2008; 27: 30-38
- Oral care practices for orally intubated critically ill adults.Am J Crit Care. 2010; 19: 175-183
M.M.J. received grants from the Finnish Cultural Foundations and the Finnish Foundation of Nursing Education for her doctoral thesis.
M.M.J., T.I.A.-K., P.P.O., M.H.M., H.P.S., and H.A.K. contributed to the study design, data interpretation, and manuscript preparation. M.M.J. contributed to data collection. M.M.J and P.P.O. performed the data analysis.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.