Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Strategies to prevent surgical site infections in acute care hospitals.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: 551-561
- Economic burden of healthcare-associated infections: an American perspective.Expert Rev Pharmacoeconomics Outcomes Res. 2009; 9: 417-422
- Economic burden of surgical site infections in cardiac surgery.J Med Microb Diagn. 2013; 2: e120
- Fifty ways to cause surgical site infections.Surg Infect. 2011; 12: 497-500
- The effective period of preventive antibiotic action in experimental incisions and dermal lesions.Surgery. 1961; 50: 161-168
- Single dose systemic antibiotic prophylaxis of surgical wound infections.Am J Surg. 1986; 152: 552-559
- Reducing the risk of surgical site infections: does chlorhexidine gluconate provide a risk reduction benefit?.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 549-555
- Effects of using intravenous antibiotic only versus local intrawound vancomycin antibiotic powder application in addition to intravenous antibiotics on postoperative infection in spine surgery in 907 patients.Spine. 2013; 38: 2149-2155
Greco G, Shi W, Michler R, Blackstone E, Kron I, Moquete E, et al. The economic impact of healthcare associated infections in cardiac surgery. 2013. Available from: http://www.abstractsonline.com/Plan/ViewAbstract.aspx?sKey=b9193dbe-c752-450f-9b49-f41fdf2be1c0&cKey=8fc06889-f397-4701-b7df-b7ae743b307f&mKey=951e351e-429c-4b2e-84d0-8da73b00de45. Accessed December 30, 2013.
- Acute wound care. ACS surgery: principles and practice.Decker Intellectual Properties, Ontario, Canada2012
- Patterns and prevention of blood exposure in operating room personnel: a multi-center study.Adv Exp Prev. 1998; 3: 61-71
- Current risks of occupational blood-borne viral infection.Surg Infect. 2010; 11: 1-7
- The ABC’s of hepatitis. Advances in surgery. Vol 33. Mosby, Inc, Maryland Heights [MO]1999
- Risk and management of blood-borne infections in health care workers.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2000; 13: 385-407
- HIV infection acquired by a nurse.Eur J Epidemiol. 1988; 4: 119-120
- Transmission of hepatitis C by blood splash into conjunctiva in a nurse.Am J Infect Control. 2003; 31: 502-504
- Transmission of hepatitis C via blood splash into conjunctiva.Scand J Infect Dis. 1993; 25: 270-271
- Wound irrigation in musculoskeletal injury.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2001; 9: 219-226
Hays EP. Wound care: from door to discharge. Proceedings of the Boston Scientific Assembly; October 6, 2009; Boston, MA.
Gabriel A, Schraga E, Windle ML. Wound irrigation. 2011. Available from: www.emedicine.medscape.com/article/1895071. Accessed July 20, 2013.
- Application of principles of fluid dynamics to surgical wound irrigation.Curr Topics Surg Res. 1971; 3: 85-93
- Wound cleansing by high pressure irrigation.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1975; 141: 357-362
- An outbreak of multi-drug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii associated with pulsatile lavage wound treatment.JAMA. 2004; 292: 3006-3011
- Contaminant seeding in bone by different irrigation methods: an experimental study.J Orthop Trauma. 2005; 19: 591-596
- Comparison of a new pressurized saline canister versus syringe irrigation for laceration cleansing in the emergency department.Ann Emerg Med. 1992; 21: 1364-1367
- Predictors of traumatic wound infection with a neural network-derived decision model.Am J Emerg Med. 2003; 21: 1-7
Business Wire (Internet). Survey conducted at AORN congress reveals need for new and better surgical site infection prevention strategies; c2013 [updated 2013 March 11]. Available from: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130311005412/en/Survey-Conducted-AORN-Congress-Reveals-Surgical-Site. Accessed September 27, 2013.
CDC. Recommendations for preventing the spread of vancomycin resistance: recommendations of the Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC); September 22, 1995/44 (RR12); 1–13. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/RR/RR4412.PDF. Accessed July 10, 2013.
- Surgical antibiotic irrigations.Hosp Pharm. 1989; 24: 116-119
- Antibiotic irrigations: a plea for controlled clinical trials.Pharmacotherapy. 1985; 5: 222-227
- Prophylactic use of topical antibiotic irrigation for clean surgical wounds.Gundersen Lutheran Med J. 2003; 2: 31-33
- Irrigation of the wounds in open fractures.J Bone Joint Surg. 2007; 89B: 580-585
- Infection control rate of irrigation and debridement of periprosthetic joint infection.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011; 469: 3043-3048
- Intraoperative anaphylaxis associated with bacitracin irrigation.Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2011; 68: 323-327
US Food and Drug Administration. Silver Spring [MD]: Trial alcohol prep pads, alcohol swabs, and alcohol swabsticks: recall due to potential microbial contamination; c2011 [updated 2011 June 15]. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm239319.htm. Accessed September 26, 2013.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Atlanta [GA]: Multistate fungal meningitis outbreak investigation; c2012 [updated 2013 September 6]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/hai/outbreaks/meningitis.html. Accessed September 26, 2013.
- The effects of chlorhexidine irrigation solution on contaminated bone-tendon allografts.Am J Sports Med. 2000; 28: 241-244
- Comparison of irrigation solutions and devices in a contaminated musculoskeletal wound survival model.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009; 91: 92-98
- Benzalkonium chloride: a potential disinfecting irrigation solution for orthopedic wounds.Clin Orthop. 1998; 346: 255-261
- Comparison of castile soap, benzalkonium chloride, and bacitracin as irrigation solutions for complex contaminated wounds.J Orthop Trauma. 1999; 13: 332-337
Daily Med (2011). Povidone iodine; c2011. Available from: http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=095c47d5-9fe0-45ed-93eb-a2ac3961db59. Accessed September 27, 2013.
- Prevention of perioperative infection.J Bone Joint Surg. 2007; 89: 1605-1618
Edmiston CE, Seabrook GR, Cambria RA, Brown KR, Lewis BD, Sommers JR, et al. Molecular epidemiology of microbial contamination in the operating room environment: is there a risk for infection? Presented at the 62nd Annual Meeting of the Central Surgical Association, Tucson, AZ, March 10-12, 2005.
- The importance of airborne bacterial contamination of wounds.J Hosp Infect. 1982; 3: 123-135
- Airborne contamination of wounds in joint replacement operations: the relationship to sepsis rates.J Hosp Infect. 1983; 4: 111-131
- Surgical smoke and infection control.J Hosp Infect. 2006; 62: 1-5
- Air contamination during skin preparation and draping in joint replacement surgery.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1996; 78: 92-94
- Forced-air warming and ultra-clean ventilation do not mix.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011; 93: 1537-1544
- Body-exhaust suit versus occlusive clothing.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2003; 85: 490-494
Conflicts of interest: None to report.