- •This cross-sectional study investigated the prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) carriage in 877 residents and staff of 7 nursing homes in Croatia.
- •The overall prevalence of MRSA colonization was 7.1%, and the dominant SCCmec types were II and IV.
- •All MRSA isolates were negative for Panton-Valentine leukocidin–encoding genes. The predominant S aureus protein A type was t008.
- •Our study demonstrates the spread of 2 clones within and among Croatian nursing homes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Antimicrobial prescribing in European nursing homes.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011; 66: 1609-1616
- Aging populations: the challenges ahead.Lancet. 2009; 374: 1196-1208
Afric I. Expert seminar on risk management in nursing homes. Available from: http://www.husi.hr/download/Afric_Opatija_2012_a.pdf. Accessed June 1, 2014.
- Staphylococcus aureus carriage in care homes: identification of risk factors, including the role of dementia.Epidemiol Infect. 2010; 138: 686-696
- Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: molecular evolution, characteristics, and significance.Liječ Vjesn. 2007; 129: 355-363
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in Croatia.Croatian J Infect. 2012; 32: 59-66
- The presence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus on large pig breeding farms in Croatia.Acta Vet Hung. 2011; 59: 419-425
- Infection control strategies for preventing the transmission of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in nursing homes for older people.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; : CD006354
- Multiplex PCR strategy for rapid identification of structural types and variants of the mec element in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2002; 46: 2155-2161
- A variant of the southern German clone of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus is predominant in Croatia.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2010; 16: 1077-1083
- Molecular characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bloodstream isolates from Croatia.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2006; 57: 331-334
- Interpreting chromosomal DNA restriction patterns produced by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis: criteria for bacterial strain typing.J Clin Microbiol. 1995; 33: 2233-2239
- The prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus among the residents of six nursing homes for the elderly.J Hosp Infect. 2000; 45: 322-329
- Prevalence and resistance of commensal Staphylococcus aureus, including meticillin-resistant S aureus, in nine European countries: a cross-sectional study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2013; 13: 409-415
- Epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) among residents of nursing homes in Belgium.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2009; 64: 1299-1306
- Meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in elderly residents of care homes: colonization rates and molecular epidemiology.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 83: 212-218
- Predicting high prevalence of community methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains in nursing homes.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 325-326
- Overview of molecular typing methods for outbreak detection and epidemiological surveillance.Euro Surveill. 2013; 18: 20380
- Molecular epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in nursing homes: a cross-sectional study.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2002; 23: 546-549
- Are methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus that produce Panton-Valentine leucocidin (PVL) found among residents of care homes?.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2008; 62: 968-972
- Epidemiology of multidrug-resistant microorganisms among nursing home residents in Belgium.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e64908
- Indications for antimicrobial prescribing in European nursing homes: results from a point prevalence survey.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012; 21: 937-944
- Guidelines on hand hygiene in health care institutions.Lijec Vjesn. 2011; 133: 155-170
- Guidelines for prevention, control and treatment of infections caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).Lijec Vjesn. 2008; 130: 7-32
This study was funded by a research grant from the Croatian Ministry of Science Education and Sport as a part of the “Genotypes and Virulence Factors of Hospital-Acquired Pathogens” project no. 108-1080114-0017.
Conflict of interest: None to report.