Fungemia is considered a major cause of neonatal morbidity and mortality. Candida krusei is an infrequent isolate among healthy hosts, but is a pathogen of concern among immunocompromised patients, in whom it can cause fungemia, endopthalmitis, arthritis, and endocarditis.
1It is difficult to treat owing to intrinsic fluconazole resistance and variable susceptibility to flucytosine and amphotericin B.
- García-Rodas R.
- González-Camacho F.
- Rodríguez-Tudela J.L.
- Cuenca-Estrella M.
- Zaragoza O.
The interaction between Candida krusei and murine macrophages results in multiple outcomes including intracellular survival and escape from killing.
Infect Immun. 2011; 79: 2136-2144
2We report an outbreak of C krusei fungemia in the neonatal Intensive care unit (ICU) of our hospital over a short period of 2 weeks.
- DiazGranados C.A.
- Martinez A.
- Deaza C.
- Valderrama S.
An outbreak of Candida spp bloodstream infection in a tertiary care centre in Bogotá, Colombia.
Braz J Infect Dis. 2008; 12: 390-394
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The interaction between Candida krusei and murine macrophages results in multiple outcomes including intracellular survival and escape from killing.Infect Immun. 2011; 79: 2136-2144
- An outbreak of Candida spp bloodstream infection in a tertiary care centre in Bogotá, Colombia.Braz J Infect Dis. 2008; 12: 390-394
- Candida krusei reservoir in a neutropenia unit: molecular evidence of a foe?.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011; 17: 259-263
- Neonatal fungal sepsis by Candida krusei: a report of three cases and a literature review.Med Mycol Case Rep. 2012; 1: 24-26
- Blood stream infections by Candida glabrata and Candida krusei: a single-center experience.Korean J Intern Med. 2009; 24: 263-269
- Candida krusei fungemia: an escalating serious infection in immunocompromised patients.Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160: 2659-2664
- Candida krusei: biology, epidemiology, pathogenecity and clinical manifestations of an emerging pathogen.J Med Microbiol. 1994; 41: 295-310
Conflict of interest: None to report.
© 2014 Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.