- •Hydrogen peroxide vapor inactivated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus, and Acinetobacter baumannii dried on surfaces.
- •Equal activity found on porous and nonporous surfaces and at 4 room locations.
- •Study was performed in an operating room environment.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- The role played by contaminated surfaces in the transmission of nosocomial pathogens.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 687-699
- How long do nosocomial pathogens persist on inanimate surfaces? A systematic review.BMC Infect Dis. 2006; 6: 130
- Clostridium difficile infection: how to deal with the problem.Department of Health, London, UK2009
Rutala WA, Weber DJ, and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). Guideline for disinfection and sterilization in healthcare facilities, 2008. Available from: www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/pdf/guidelines/Disinfection_Nov_2008.pdf. Accessed August 24, 2010.
- Preventing the transmission of multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii: an executive summary of the Association for Professionals in infection control and epidemiology's elimination guide.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 39: 439-441
- Preventing methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus transmission in hospitals: an Executive Summary of the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc, Elimination Guide.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 39: 595-598
- Isolation of Acinetobacter baumannii complex and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from hospital rooms following terminal cleaning and disinfection: can we do better?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 667-672
- Survival of nosocomial bacteria and spores on surfaces and inactivation by hydrogen peroxide vapor.J Clin Microbiol. 2009; 47: 205-207
- Comparison of the efficacy of a hydrogen peroxide dry-mist disinfection system and sodium hypochlorite solution for eradication of Clostridium difficile spores.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009; 30: 507-514
- The role of ‘no-touch’ automated room disinfection systems in infection prevention and control.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 83: 1-13
- Impact of hydrogen peroxide vapor room decontamination on Clostridium difficile environmental contamination and transmission in a healthcare setting.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: 723-729
- An evaluation of environmental decontamination with hydrogen peroxide vapor for reducing the risk of patient acquisition of multidrug-resistant organisms.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 52: 27-35
- Implementation of hospital-wide enhanced terminal cleaning of targeted patient rooms and its impact on endemic Clostridium difficile infection rates.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 537-541
- Activity in vitro of hydrogen peroxide vapor against Clostridium difficile spores.J Hosp Infect. 2012; 80: 85-87
- Decontamination assessment of Bacillus anthracis, Bacillus subtilis, and Geobacillus stearothermophilus spores on indoor surfaces using a hydrogen peroxide gas generator.J Appl Microbiol. 2005; 99: 739-748
- Reducing the spread of Acinetobacter baumannii and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus on a burns unit through the intervention of an infection control bundle.Burns. 2013; 39: 395-403
- Reduction of Clostridium difficile and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus contamination of environmental surfaces after an intervention to improve cleaning methods.BMC Infect Dis. 2007; 7: 61
- Efficacy, efficiency and safety aspects of hydrogen peroxide vapor and aerosolized hydrogen peroxide room disinfection systems.J Hosp Infect. 2012; 80: 199-205
- Meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus is more resistant to vaporized hydrogen peroxide than commercial Geobacillus stearothermophilus biological indicators.J Hosp Infect. 2012; 80: 41-45
- Testing standards for sporicides.J Hosp Infect. 2011; 77: 193-198
- Tackling contamination of the hospital environment by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA): a comparison between conventional terminal cleaning and hydrogen peroxide vapor decontamination.J Hosp Infect. 2004; 57: 31-37
- The 1999 Lindberg award. 3% hydrogen peroxide for the gram-positive disinfection of fabrics.J Burn Care Rehabil. 1999; 20: 471-477
- Compatibility of hydrogen peroxide vapor room decontamination with physiological monitors.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 92-93
Conflicts of interest: J.A.O. is employed part-time by Bioquell; S.Y. is employed by Bioquell; M.M. is employed by Schülke & Mayr, who distributed Bioquell's products in Germany at the time of this study. All other authors have no potential conflicts of interest to declare.