Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- The uncertainty principle and industry-sponsored research.Lancet. 2000; 356: 635-663
- Association between competing interests and authors' conclusions: epidemiological study of randomised clinical trials published in the BMJ.BMJ. 2002; 325: 249
- Scope and impact of financial conflicts of interest in biomedical research: a systematic review.JAMA. 2003; 289: 454-465
- Epistemic cultures. How the sciences make knowledge.Harvard University Press, Cambridge1999
- From bench to bedside? Biomedical scientists' expectations of stem cell science as a future therapy for diabetes.Soc Sci Med. 2006; 63: 2052-2064
- The standardization of race and ethnicity in biomedical science editorials and UK biobanks.Soc Stud Sci. 2008; 38: 407-423
- The global impact of drug resistance.Clin Infect Dis. 2003; 36: S4-S10
- Industry induces academic science to know less about more.Am J Sociol. 2010; 116: 389-452
- Growth and decay curves in scientific citations.Am Sociol Rev. 1969; 34: 631-635
- Invisible colleges. Diffusion of knowledge in scientific communities.University of Chicago Press, Chicago [IL]2010
- Invasive methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in the United States.JAMA. 2007; 298: 1763-1771
- Epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Clin Infect Dis. 2008; 46: S344-S349
- Hospital and societal costs of antimicrobial-resistant infections in a Chicago teaching hospital: implications for antibiotic stewardship.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 49: 1175-1184
- The use of bibliometrics in social sciences and humanities.Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Montreal, Canada2004
- Superbug: the fatal menace of MRSA.The Free Press, New York [NY]2010
McKenna M. How much is drug resistant death worth? Less than $600. Available from: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/07/resistance-death-worth. Accessed June 5, 2012.
Harzing A-W. Google Scholar - a new data source for citation analysis. Available from: http://www.harzing.com/pop_gs.htm. Accessed June 6, 2012.
- The conceptualization of scientific specialties.Sociol Q. 1976; 17: 448-476
- The emergence of a scientific specialty: the self-exemplifying case of the sociology of science.in: Coser L.A. The idea of a social structure: papers in honor of Robert K. Merton. Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, New York [NY]1975: 139-174
- A sociological theory of scientific change.Soc Forces. 1993; 71: 933-953
- Annual review of science and technology. Mapping research specialties.ARIST. 2008; 42: 213-295
Funding/support: This work was supported by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation while the first author was a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Scholar in Health Policy Research. We received financial support from the College of Arts and Sciences at Indiana University, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Michigan.
Potential conflicts of interest: Dr. Rojas has received honoraria and speaking fees for lecturing at various universities and private organizations on the subject of organizational change. Dr. Byrd has no conflicts of interest to disclose. Dr. Saint has received numerous honoraria and speaking fees from academic medical centers, hospitals, group-purchasing organizations (eg, Veterans Health Administration, Premier), specialty societies, state-based hospital associations, and nonprofit foundations (eg, Michigan Health and Hospital Association, Institute for Healthcare Improvement) for lectures about catheter-associated urinary tract infection, leadership and followership, and implementation science.