- •Problems in data extractions can compromise the quality of surveillance denominators.
- •Good communication with all stakeholders is essential during the entire process.
- •A valid list of admissions can facilitate information extraction from other databases.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Health care-associated Clostridium difficile infection in adults admitted to acute care hospitals in Canada: a Canadian Nosocomial Infection Surveillance Program Study.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 48: 568-576
- National Healthcare Safety Network report, data summary for 2011, device-associated module.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 286-300
- Recommendations for metrics for multidrug-resistant organisms in healthcare settings: SHEA/HICPAC position paper.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: 901-913
- SWEDRES|2010 – a report on Swedish antimicrobial utilisation and resistance in human medicine.Swedish Institute for Communicable Disease Control, Stockholm, Sweden2011
- Deriving measures of intensive care unit antimicrobial use from computerized pharmacy data: methods, validation, and overcoming barriers.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 472-480
- Surveillance Provinciale des Infections Nosocomiales (SPIN) Program: implementation of a mandatory surveillance program for central line-associated bloodstream infections.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 39: 329-335
- Handbook of data quality: research and practice. Springer, New York (NY)2013
- Electronic surveillance for infectious disease trend analysis following a quality improvement intervention.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 790-795
- Data linkage between existing healthcare databases to support hospital epidemiology.J Hosp Infect. 2011; 79: 231-235
Conflicts of interest: None to report.
Funding/support: This study was funded by the Fonds de Recherche du Québec - Santé.