- •We implemented hydrogen peroxide vapor for terminal room disinfection of select patient rooms.
- •We concurrently documented improvements in hand hygiene compliance.
- •We report a statistically significant reduction in Clostridium difficile infection, vancomycin-resistant enterococci, and extended-spectrum β-lactamase–producing gram-negative bacteria.
- •Our findings suggest that improvement in environmental and hand hygiene reduce multidrug-resistant organism transmission.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- The role played by contaminated surfaces in the transmission of nosocomial pathogens.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 687-699
- Reduction in acquisition of vancomycin-resistant enterococcus after enforcement of routine environmental cleaning measures.Clin Infect Dis. 2006; 42: 1552-1560
- Preventing the transmission of multidrug-resistant organisms: modeling the relative importance of hand hygiene and environmental cleaning interventions.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 1156-1162
- Environmental cleaning intervention and risk of acquiring multidrug-resistant organisms from prior room occupants.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 491-494
- Evaluation of hospital room assignment and acquisition of Clostridium difficile infection.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 201-206
- An evaluation of environmental decontamination with hydrogen peroxide vapor for reducing the risk of patient acquisition of multidrug-resistant organisms.Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 56: 27-35
- Is there a role for “no-touch” automated room disinfection systems in infection prevention and control?.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 83: 1-13
- Impact of hydrogen peroxide vapor room decontamination on Clostridium difficile environmental contamination and transmission in a healthcare setting.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: 723-729
- Implementation of hospital-wide enhanced terminal cleaning of targeted patient rooms and its impact on endemic Clostridium difficile infection rates.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 537-541
- Risk of acquiring extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Klebsiella species and Escherichia coli from prior room occupants in the intensive care unit.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 453-458
Conflicts of interest: J.A. Otter is employed part-time by Bioquell. K. Horn has no conflicts to declare.