- •Quick, visual, and practical assessment directly at the workplace.
- •The marked hand rub and UV lamp revealed mistakes, that is, zones without coverage.
- •Only 67 of the 705 participants (9.5%) rubbed both hands correctly.
- •The significant impact of the results on HCWs could improve the quality of their hand hygiene and adherence to protocols.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Guideline for hand Hygiene in Health-care Settings. Recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force. Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America/Association for professionals in Infection Control/Infectious Diseases Society of America.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2002; 51: S3-S40
- The WHO Clean Care is Safer Care programme: field-testing to enhance sustainability and spread of hand hygiene improvements.J Infect Public Health. 2008; 1: 4-10
- Role of hand hygiene in healthcare-associated infection prevention.J Hosp Infect. 2009; 73: 305-315
- Save Lives: Clean Your Hands: a WHO patient safety initiative for 2009.World Hosp Health Serv. 2009; 45: 23-25
- The World Health Organization hand hygiene observation method.Am J Infect Control. 2009; 37: 827-834
- The World Health Organization guidelines on hand hygiene in health care and their consensus recommendations.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009; 30: 611-622
- Effectiveness of a hospital-wide programme to improve compliance with hand hygiene.Lancet. 2000; 356: 1307-1312
- Systematic review of studies on compliance with hand hygiene guidelines in hospital care.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 283-294
- Impact of the International Nosocomial Infection Control Consortium (INICC) multidimensional hand hygiene approach over 13 years in 51 cities of 19 limited-resource countries from Latin America, Asia, the Middle East, and Europe.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 415-423
Healthcare System of Extremadura. Healthcare Management of Regeion of Badajoz. Annual report 2013. Avaliable from: http://www.areasaludbadajoz.com/index.php/memorias-anuales-2. Accessed July 31, 2015.
Derma LiteCheck: training. Available at: http://www.derma-litecheck.com/en/training.php. Accessed December 15, 2014.
Dermalux Checkbox. Available from: http://www.derma-litecheck.com/. Accessed December 15, 2014.
- One plunge or two? Hand disinfection with alcohol gel.Int J Qual Health Care. 2006; 18: 120-122
- Introducing alcohol-based hand rub for hand hygiene: the critical need for training.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 50-54
- Influence of rub-in technique on required application time and hand coverage in hygienic hand disinfection.BMC Infect Dis. 2008; 8: 149
- Evaluation of a hand hygiene technique in healthcare workers.Rev Calid Asist. 2011; 26 (in Spanish): 376-379
- Evaluación de un programa de actualización de las recomendaciones sobre la higiene de manos.An Sist Sanit Navar. 2007; 30: 343-352
Funding/support: No public or private funding was received for this study.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.