- •The purpose of the study was to increase the knowledge of what it means for staff in acute care settings and nursing homes to care for patients with extended-spectrum β-lactamase (ESBL)-producing bacteria.
- •The results showed that conditions varied between acute care settings and nursing homes.
- •Staff in acute care settings and nursing homes must have adequate knowledge and reasonable working conditions to be able to provide high-quality care for patients and residents who are ESBL carriers.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Overview of ESBL-producing Enterobacteriaceae from a Nordic perspective.Infect Ecol Epidemiol. 2014; 4: 1-9
- β-lactam and β-lactamase inhibitor combinations in the treatment of extended-spectrum β-lactamase–producing Enterobacteriaceae: time for a reappraisal in the era of few antibiotic options?.Lancet Infect Dis. 2015; 15: 475-485
- Penicillins.in: Mandell G.L. Bennett J.E. Dolin R. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennettś principles and practice of infectious diseases. 6th ed. Churchill Livingstone, New York [NY]2005: 281-293
- Effects of confounders and intermediates on the association of bacteremia caused by extended-spectrum β-lactamase–producing Enterobacteriaceae and patient outcome: a meta-analysis.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012; 67: 1311-1320
- Clinical and economic impact of bacteremia with extended-spectrum beta-lactamase–producing Enterobacteriaceae.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2006; 50: 1257-1262
Public Health Agency of Sweden. Extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL). Available from: http://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/amnesomraden/statistik-och-undersokningar/sjukdomsstatistik/extended-spectrum-beta-lactamase-esbl/?y=2015. Accessed June 2, 2015.
- Trends in human fecal carriage of extended-spectrum β-lactamases in the community: toward the globalization of CTX-M.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2013; 26: 744-758
National Food Agency, National Veterinary Institute, Public Health Agency of Sweden. ESBL-producing E.coli in our enviroment - food as transmission route to human (in Swedish). Available from: http://www.sva.se/globalassets/redesign2011/pdf/om_sva/utbildning/finns-det-esbl-bildande-bakterier-i-mat-i-sverige-8dec.pdf. Accessed November 13, 2014.
- Living with extended-spectrum β-lactamase: a qualitative study of patient experiences.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 723-727
- MRSA: global threat and personal disaster: patients' experiences.Int Nurs Rev. 2011; 58: 47-53
- Patient experience of source isolation: lessons for clinical practice.Contemp Nurse. 2011; 39: 180-193
- The experience of infectious patients in isolation.Nurs Times. 1993; 89: 53-56
- Patientséxperiences of being infected with MRSA at a hospital and subsequently source isolated.Scand J Caring Sci. 2010; 24: 101-107
- Patients' perceptions of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and source isolation: a qualitative analysis of source-isolated patients.J Hosp Infect. 2001; 48: 275-280
National Board of Health and Welfare. The National Board of Health and Welfareś regulations on basic hygiene in the Swedish health service, etc. SOSFS 2007:19 (M) (in Swedish). Available from: http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/Lists/Artikelkatalog/Attachments/8924/2007-10-103.pdf. Accessed October 19, 2007.
- Attitudes toward patients with multidrug-resistant bacteria: scale development and psychometric evaluation.J Infect Prev. 2011; 12: 196-203
- The prevention of healthcare-associated infections - a knowledge base.Socialstyrelsen, Stockholm2006 (69-73, 195-196 (in Swedish))
- Registered and enrolled nurses' knowledge of hepatitis C and attitudes towards patients with hepatitis C.Contemp Nurse. 2003/4; 16: 133-143
- Prevalence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in residents of nursing homes in a Swedish municipality: healthcare staff knowledge of and adherence to principles of basic infection prevention.Scand J Infect Dis. 2012; 44: 641-649
- Deficient knowledge of multidrug-resistant bacteria and preventive hygiene measures among primary healthcare personnel.J Adv Nurs. 2010; 67: 756-762
- Willingness to care for patients with HIV/AIDS.Nurs Ethics. 2008; 15: 586-600
- Nurses' professional care obligation and their attitudes towards SARS infection control measures in Taiwan during and after the 2003 epidemic.Nurs Ethics. 2004; 11: 277-289
- Predictors of rural critical care nurses' willingness to care for people with AIDS.Intensive Crit Care Nurs. 2000; 16: 181-190
- MRSA: a challenge to Norwegian nursing home personnel.Interdiscip Perspect Infect Dis. 2011; 2011: 197683
- Perceived knowledge of blood-borne pathogens and avoidance of contact with infected patients.J Nurs Scholarsh. 2009; 41: 13-19
- Nursing staff and nursing students' attitudes towards HIV-infected and homosexual HIV-infected patients in Sweden and the wish to refrain from nursing.J Adv Nurs. 2003; 41: 454-461
- Nurses' knowledge and attitudes to HIV/AIDS: an international comparison between Finland, Estonia and Lithuania.Int J Nurs Pract. 2010; 16: 138-147
- The discovery of grounded theory: strategies for qualitative research.Aldine, Chicago [IL]1967
- Truth and validity in grounded theory: a reconsidered realist interpretation of the criteria: fit, work, relevance and modifiability.Nurs Philos. 2003; 4: 189-200
- The application of grounded theory and symbolic interactionism.Scand J Caring Sci. 2004; 18: 249-256
- Theoretical sensitivity: advances in the methodology of grounded theory.Sociology Press, Mill Valley [CA]1978: 55-142
- Basics of qualitative research: grounded theory procedures and techniques.Sage, Thousand Oaks [CA]2008: 87-115
- Constructing grounded theory: a practical guide through qualitative analysis.Sage, London2006: 43-95
- Grounded theory: a practical guide.2nd ed. Sage, London2015: 89-98
Swedish Health and Medical Services Act (1982:763). Svensk författningssamling. Available from: http://www.riksdagen.se/sv/Dokument-Lagar/Lagar/Svenskforfattningssamling/Halso--och-sjukvardslag-1982_sfs-1982-763/. 1982-06-30. Accessed July 8, 2015.
- Overcrowding and understaffing in modern health-care systems: key determinants in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus transmission.Lancet Infect Dis. 2008; 8: 427-434
- Outbreak of Enterobacter cloacae related to understaffing, overcrowding, and poor hygiene practices.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999; 20: 598-603
- Hospital outbreak control requires joint efforts from hospital management, microbiology and infection control.J Hosp Infect. 2010; 76: 26-31
Conflicts of interest: None to report.