- •Hand hygiene auditors are passionate advocates for the role of effective hand hygiene in improved patient safety.
- •Hand hygiene auditors face many significant challenges in undertaking the role.
- •Barriers include organizational, professional, and cultural issues.
- •Enablers include overt managerial leadership, support, and feedback.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Manley K. McCormack B. Wilson V. International practice development in nursing and healthcare. Blackwell, Oxford, UK2008
- Guidelines for the prevention and control of infection in healthcare, Commonwealth of Australia.2010 (Available from:)Accessed August 16, 2014)
- Guideline for isolation precautions in hospitals.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1996; 17: 53-80
- Rates of hand disinfection associated with glove use, patient isolation, and changes between exposure to various body sites.Am J Infect Control. 2003; 31: 97-103
World Health Organization, WHO guidelines on hand hygiene in health care. Available from: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2009/9789241597906_eng.pdf. Accessed August 16, 2014.
- Interventions to improve hand hygiene compliance in patient care.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; : CD005186
- The World Health Organization hand hygiene observation method.Am J Infect Control. 2009; 37: 827-834
- Wearing gloves: the worst enemy of hand hygiene?.Future Microbiol. 2011; 6: 835-837
- Significant reductions in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia and clinical isolates associated with a multisite, hand hygiene culture change program and subsequent successful statewide roll.Med J Aust. 2008; 188: 633-640
Hand Hygiene Australia. National hand hygiene initiative. Available from: http://www.hha.org.au/home.aspx. Accessed August 16, 2014.
- The national hand hygiene initiative.Med J Aust. 2009; 191: 420-421
National Health Performance Authority. My Hospitals. Hospital performance: Available from: http://www.myhospitals.gov.au/publications/sab/march-2014. Accessed August 16, 2014.
- Values clarification: a tool for developing a common vision and strategic direction.NDU Nursing Standard. 1990; 4: 27-30
- The essential guide to doing research.Sage, Thousand Oaks [CA]2004
- Monitoring hand hygiene via human observers: how should we be sampling?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 689-695
NSW Health. Code of conduct: workplace relations. Available from: http://www0.health.nsw.gov.au/policies/pd/2012/PD2012_018.html. Accessed August 16, 2014.
- Update on hand hygiene.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 94-96
- Variability in the Hawthorne effect with regard to hand hygiene performance in high- and low-performing inpatient care units.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009; 30: 222-225
- Monitoring hand hygiene: meaningless, harmful or helpful?.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 42-45
- Contact precautions: more is not necessarily better.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 213-221
- Auditing hand hygiene rates for quality and improvement.Healthcare Infect. 2012; 17: 13-17
- Predictors of hand hygiene compliance in the era of alcohol-based hand rinse.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 83: 276-283
- Reflecting peer-support groups in the prevention of stress and burnout: randomized controlled trial.J Adv Nurs. 2008; 63: 506-516
- A multifaceted approach to education, observation and feedback in a successful hand hygiene campaign.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2011; 37: 3-10
- Development of a standardised approach to observing hand hygiene compliance in Australia.Healthcare Infect. 2012; 17: 115-121
- Effects of peer monitoring and peer feedback on hand hygiene in surgical intensive care unit and step-down units.J Nurs Care Qual. 2011; 26: 49-53
- The Feedback Intervention Trial (FIT). Improving hand hygiene compliance in UK healthcare workers: a stepped wedge cluster randomised controlled trial.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e41617
Conflicts of interest: None to report.