- •We found transferring from another hospital was a unique independent predictor for acquiring linezolid-nonsusceptible enterococci.
- •Our findings suggest that gallbladder disease was significantly associated with linezolid-susceptible enterococci infection.
- •Polymicrobial infection was the only factor identified in both linezolid-nonsusceptible and linezolid-susceptible enterococci groups compared with controls; however, there was no significant difference between linezolid-nonsusceptible and linezolid-susceptible enterococci groups.
- •We found there was no statistical significance between cases and controls with respect to in-hospital mortality.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- The oxazolidinones: past, present, and future.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2011; 1241: 48-70
- Resistance to linezolid caused by modifications at its binding site on the ribosome.Antimicrobial Agents Chemother. 2012; 56: 603-612
- Zyvox Annual Appraisal of Potency and Spectrum (ZAAPS) Program: report of linezolid activity over 9 years (2004-12).J Antimicrob Chemother. 2014; 69: 1582-1588
- Summary of linezolid activity and resistance mechanisms detected during the 2012 LEADER surveillance program for the United States.Antimicrobial Agents Chemother. 2014; 58: 1243-1247
- Risk factors associated with linezolid-nonsusceptible enterococcal infections.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 886-887
- Risk factors and outcomes associated with vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus infections with reduced susceptibilities to linezolid.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2012; 74: 39-42
- Risk factors associated with the development of infection with linezolid- and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium.Clin Infect Dis. 2002; 35: 1269-1272
- Predictors and outcomes of linezolid-resistant vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus: a case-case-control study.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 261-263
- Determination of risk factors associated with isolation of linezolid-resistant strains of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 1382-1388
- The case-case-control study design: addressing the limitations of risk factor studies for antimicrobial resistance.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2005; 26: 346-351
Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Methods for dilution antimicrobial susceptibility tests for bacteria that grow aerobically: approved standard, 10th ed. CLSI document M07–A10. Wayne [PA]: CLSI, 2014.
Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing; 23th informational supplement. CLSI document M100–S20. Wayne [PA]: CLSI, 2014.
- CDC definitions for nosocomial infections, 1988.Am J Infect Control. 1988; 16: 128-140
- Studies of illness in the aged. The index of ADL: a standardized measure of biological and psychosocial function.JAMA. 1963; 185: 914-919
- Clinical outcomes for patients with bacteremia caused by vancomycin-resistant enterococcus in a level 1 trauma center.Clin Infect Dis. 2002; 34: 922-929
- Microbial synergy in experimental intra-abdominal abscess.Infect Immun. 1976; 13: 22-26
- Community surveillance enhances Pseudomonas aeruginosa virulence during polymicrobial infection.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013; 110: 1059-1064
- Mechanisms of synergy in polymicrobial infections.J Microbiol. 2014; 52: 188-199
- Is there a synergistic effect between mixed bacterial infection in biofilm formation on biliary stents?.Gastrointest Endosc. 1988; 48: 250-257
- Biliary stent blockage with bacterial biofilm.Ann Intern Med. 1988; 108: 546-553
- Antibiotics, biliary sepsis and bile duct stones.Gastrointest Endosc. 1994; 40: 716-721
- Cephalosporins as risk factor for nosocomial Enterococcus faecalis bacteremia. A matched case-control study.Arch Intern Med. 1993; 153: 1581-1586
- The role of the intestinal tract as a reservoir and source for transmission of nosocomial pathogens.Clin Infect Dis. 2004; 39: 219-226
- Enterococcal disease, epidemiology, and implications for treatment.in: Gilmore M.S. Clewell D.B. Ike Y. Shankar N. Enterococci: from commensals to leading causes of drug resistant infection. Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston [MA]2014: 45-70
- Benefit-risk assessment of linezolid for serious gram-positive bacterial infections.Drug Saf. 2008; 31: 753-768
Funding/Support: Supported by the National Science Foundation of China (grant no. 81471992) and the Science Foundation of Yuzhong District of Chongqing (grant no. 20140120).
Conflicts of interest: None to report.