- •We reviewed the literature on the effectiveness and adverse effects of contact precautions to decrease methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
- •Contact precautions did not reduce transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in nonepidemic settings.
- •Contact precautions were associated with both decreased health care providers' time spent with patients and low compliance.
- •Patients on contact precautions had more negative psychologic implications.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- The true cost of antimicrobial resistance.BMJ. 2013; 346: f1493
- The relationship between antimicrobial resistance and patient outcomes: mortality, length of hospital stay, and health care costs.Clin Infect Dis. 2006; 42: S82-S89
- Aorto-cavitary fistulous tract formation in infective endocarditis: clinical and echocardiographic features of 76 cases and risk factors for mortality.Eur Heart J. 2005; 26: 288-297
- 2007 guideline for isolation precautions: preventing transmission of infectious agents in health care settings.Am J Infect Control. 2007; 35: S65-S164
- SHEA guideline for preventing nosocomial transmission of multidrug-resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus and enterococcus.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2003; 24: 362-386
- Do contact precautions cause depression? A two-year study at a tertiary care medical centre.J Hosp Infect. 2011; 79: 103-107
- Veterans Affairs initiative to prevent methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 1419-1430
- Universal glove and gown use and acquisition of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in the ICU: a randomized trial.JAMA. 2013; 310: 1571-1580
- Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (MOOSE) group.JAMA. 2000; 283: 2008-2012
- Effectiveness of contact isolation during a hospital outbreak of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Am J Epidemiol. 1996; 143: 496-504
Reese S, Young H, Price C. Are you wearing your gown correctly? An assessment of proper gowning when entering a contact isolation room. In: Program and abstracts of the Annual Scientific Meeting of Infectious Disease Week; 2-6 Oct 2013; San Francisco [CA]. Abstract 1696.
- Successful Veterans Affairs initiative to prevent methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections revisited.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 54: 1618-1620
- The impact of discontinuing contact precautions for VRE and MRSA on device-associated infections.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 39: 978-980
- Impact of contact precautions on falls, pressure ulcers and transmission of MRSA and VRE in hospitalized patients.J Hosp Infect. 2014; 88: 170-176
- Intervention to reduce transmission of resistant bacteria in intensive care.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 1407-1418
- Targeted versus universal decolonization to prevent ICU infection.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 2255-2265
- Contact isolation in surgical patients: a barrier to care?.Surgery. 2003; 134: 180-188
- The effect of contact precautions on healthcare worker activity in acute care hospitals.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 69-73
- Do physicians spend less time with patients in contact isolation?: a time-motion study of internal medicine interns.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 814-815
- Effects of contact precautions on patient perception of care and satisfaction: a prospective cohort study.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 1087-1093
- Adverse outcomes associated with contact precautions: a review of the literature.Am J Infect Control. 2009; 37: 85-93
- Safety of patients isolated for infection control.JAMA. 2003; 290: 1899-1905
- Contact isolation for infection control in hospitalized patients: is patient satisfaction affected?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: 275-278
- Depression, anxiety, and moods of hospitalized patients under contact precautions.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 251-258
- Anxiety and depression in hospitalized patients in resistant organism isolation.Southampt Med J. 2003; 96: 141-145
- Contact precautions: more is not necessarily better.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 213-221
- Psychological response of patients with acute leukemia to germ-free environments.Cancer. 1977; 40: 871-879
Conflicts of interest: At time of writing, Kullar was employed by Cubist Pharmaceuticals and owns Cubist Pharmaceuticals stock; the views expressed here are her own and not necessarily those of Cubist Pharmaceuticals. The other authors have nothing to disclose.