- •We compared national trends of diabetic foot infection in the United States.
- •We identified independent risk factors for diabetic foot infection in discharged diabetic adults.
- •Diabetic foot infection incidence among hospitalized adults declined from 1996-2010.
- •Complications, including amputation, in hospitalized adults declined among diabetic foot infection adults.
- Increasing prevalence of diagnosed diabetes–United States and Puerto Rico, 1995-2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012; 6: 918-921
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National diabetes statistics report, 2014. 2014. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/statsreport14/national-diabetes-report-web.pdf. Accessed June 16, 2015.
- Declining rates of hospitalization for nontraumatic lower-extremity amputation in the diabetic population aged 40 years or older: U.S., 1988-2008.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 273-277
- Design and operation of the National Hospital Discharge Survey: 1988 redesign.Vital Health Stat 1. 2000; : 1-42
- Achievement of goals in U.S. diabetes care, 1999-2010.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1613-1624
- Microbiology at first visit of moderate-to-severe diabetic foot infection with antimicrobial activity and a survey of quinolone monotherapy.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011; 94: 133-139
- Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: S5-S10
- Standards of medical care in diabetes--2010.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: S11-S61
- The 1997 American Diabetes Association and 1999 World Health Organization criteria for hyperglycemia in the diagnosis and prediction of diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2000; 23: 1108-1112
- Epidemiology of foot ulceration and amputation: can global variation be explained?.Med Clin North Am. 2013; 97: 791-805
- Trends in prevalence and control of diabetes in the United States, 1988-1994 and 1999-2010.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 160: 517-525
- Executive summary: 2012 Infectious Diseases Society of America clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of diabetic foot infections.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 54: 1679-1684
- Lower-extremity amputation in diabetes. The independent effects of peripheral vascular disease, sensory neuropathy, and foot ulcers.Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: 1029-1035
- Peripheral vascular disease and peripheral neuropathy in individuals with cardiometabolic clustering and obesity: national Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2001-2004.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 1642-1647
- Diabetic foot disease in people with advanced nephropathy and those on renal dialysis.Curr Diab Rep. 2010; 10: 283-290
- The influence of gender as a risk factor in diabetic foot ulceration.Wounds. 2008; 20: 127-131
- Improving diabetes care in midwest community health centers with the health disparities collaborative.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 2-8
- Regional, geographic, and racial/ethnic variation in glycemic control in a national sample of veterans with diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 938-943
Funding/Support: No financial support was provided for the conduct of this study. D Reveles is supported by the National Institutes of Health /National Center for Advancing Translational Science Loan Repayment Program (1 L30 TR000604-01).
Conflicts of interest: None to report.