- •Self-report and behavior observation should both be part of infection prevention assessments.
- •Outpatient attention is needed on infection prevention, hand hygiene, and injection safety.
- •Medical students can identify and share quality improvement opportunities during rotations.
- •Public health and medical practice collaboration can enhance healthcare provider education.
Discussion and Conclusion
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Guide to infection prevention for outpatient settings: minimum expectations for safe care.(Available from:)Accessed October 12, 2014)
- Infection control and changing health-care delivery systems.Emerg Infect Dis. 2001; 7: 170-173
- Viral hepatitis transmission in ambulatory health care settings.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 38: 1592-1598
- Nonhospital Health Care-Associated Hepatitis B and C Virus Transmission: United States, 1998-2008.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 33-39
- Hepatitis B outbreak associated with a hematology-oncology office practice in New Jersey, 2009.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 39: 663-670
- Outbreak of Serratia marcescens bloodstream and central nervous system infections after interventional pain management procedures.Clin J Pain. 2008; 24: 374-380
- One and Only Campaign injection safety checklist.(Available from:)http://www.oneandonlycampaign.org/sites/default/files/upload/pdf/Injection%20Safety%20Checklist-508.pdf(Accessed October 12, 2014)
- Observation form, revised August 2009.(Available from:)Accessed June 21, 2013)
- Medicine. Hand hygiene observation tool.(Available from:)Accessed June 21, 2013)
- Transmission of hepatitis B virus among persons undergoing blood glucose monitoring in long-term-care facilities—Mississippi, North Carolina, and Los Angeles County, California, 2003-2004.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2005; 54: 220-223
- A large outbreak of hepatitis B virus infections associated with frequent injections at a physician's office.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2005; 26: 745-750
- One and Only Campaign frequently asked questions regarding safe practices for medical injections.(Available from:)http://www.oneandonlycampaign.org/sites/default/files/upload/pdf/Injection%20Safety%20FAQs_7pages_FINAL.pdf(Accessed October 13, 2014)
- Medication injection safety knowledge and practices among anesthesiologists: New York State, 2011.J Clin Anesth. 2013; 25: 521-528
- Hospital hand hygiene compliance improves with increased monitoring and immediate feedback.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 1074-1078
- Hand hygiene in routine glaucoma clinics.Br J Opthamol. 2005; 89: 1541-1542
- Evaluation of a hand hygiene campaign in outpatient health care clinics.Am J Nurs. 2013; 113: 36-42
- Hand hygiene and healthcare system change within multi-modal promotion: a narrative review.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 83: S3-10
- Improving adherence to hand hygiene practice: a multidisciplinary approach.Emerg Infect Dis. 2001; 7: 234-240
- A cross-sectional study of medical students' knowledge of patient safety and quality improvement.N C Med J. 2014; 75: 15-20
- An innovative quality improvement curriculum for third-year medical students.Med Educ Online. 2012; 17: 18391
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.