- •Prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infection demands the engagement of a multidisciplinary team.
- •Strategies to prevent catheter-associated urinary tract infection need to be implemented in hospital settings, especially in intensive care unit and step-down unit patients.
- •We deployed a catheter insertion team to prevent catheter-associated urinary tract infection in our intensive care unit and step-down unit patients.
- Impact of adverse events on out outcomes in intensive care unit patients.Crit Care Med. 2008; 36: 2041-2047
- Prevalence of nosocomial infections in hospitals in Norway, 2002 and 2003.J Hosp Infect. 2005; 60: 40-45
- Estimating health care-associated infections and deaths in U.S. hospitals, 2002.Public Health Rep. 2007; 122: 160-166
- Nosocomial infections in combined medical-surgical intensive care units in the United States.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000; 21: 510-515
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services' “never events”: an analysis and recommendations to hospitals.Health Care Manag. 2008; 27: 338-349
- Preventing catheter-associated urinary tract infection in the zero-tolerance era.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 10: 817-822
- Guideline for prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infections 2009.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 319-326
- CDC/NHSN surveillance definition of health care-associated infection and criteria for specific types of infections in the acute care setting.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 36: 309-332
- Using National Nosocomial Infection Surveillance System data to improve urinary tract infection rates in three intensive-care units.Clin Perform Qual Health Care. 1998; 6: 172-178
- Using a criteria-based reminder to reduce use of indwelling urinary catheters and decrease urinary tract infections.Am J Crit Care. 2013; 22: 105-114
- Effectiveness of multifaceted hospitalwide quality improvement programs featuring an intervention to remove unnecessary urinary catheters at a tertiary care center in Thailand.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 791-798
- Inappropriate use of urinary catheters and its common complications in different hospital wards.Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2012; 23: 63-67
- [Etiology, risk factors, and outcome of urinary tract infection] [Lithuanian].Medicina (Kaunas). 2006; 42: 805-809
- Long-term catheterization of the bladder: prevalence and morbidity.Br J Urol. 1996; 77: 347-351
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infection.J Med Assoc Thai. 2005; 88: S26-30
- Urinary tract infection associated with indwelling bladder catheter: incidence and risk factors.Rev Assoc Med Bras. 1999; 45: 27-33
- Causes of urinary tract infection and its prevention in patients with indwelling urinary catheter: report of 152 cases.Di Yi Jun Yi Da Xue Xue Bao. 2003; 23: 510-511
- Prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infection.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2005; 18: 37-41
- National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) report, data summary for 2012, Device associated module.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 1148-1166
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.