- •The emergence of β-lactam–resistant bacteria is a major health concern.
- •There was a relatively high prevalence of 3 groups of airborne β-lactam–resistant bacteria in hospitals.
- •Beta-lactamase–encoding genes were detected with various frequencies in isolated β-lactam–resistant bacteria.
- •Staphylococcus and Acinetobacter were detected as the most predominant β-lactam–resistant bacteria.
- •Hospital air may play an important role in the transmission of β-lactam–resistant bacteria.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Clean care is safer care: a worldwide priority.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1246-1247
- Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in the intensive care unit.Postgrad Med J. 2002; 78: 385-392
- Prevention of hospital-acquired infections: review of non-pharmacological interventions.J Hosp Infect. 2008; 69: 204-219
- The airborne transmission of infection in hospital buildings: fact or fiction?.Indoor Built Environ. 2003; 12: 9-18
- Antibacterial resistance worldwide: causes, challenges and responses.Nat Med. 2004; 10: S122-9
- Evolution and public health.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010; 107: 1702-1709
- Airborne bacteria and antibiotic resistance genes in hospital rooms.Aerobiologia. 2010; 26: 185-194
- Factors involved in the aerosol transmission of infection and control of ventilation in healthcare premises.J Hosp Infect. 2006; 64: 100-114
- Antibiotics in the aquatic environment—a review—part I.Chemosphere. 2009; 75: 417-434
- Reducing the spread of Acinetobacter baumannii and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus on a burns unit through the intervention of an infection control bundle.Burns. 2013; 39: 395-403
- Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing.(Twenty-Second Informational Supplement. Wayne (PA): Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute)2012 (CLSI document M100-S22)
- New quadriplex PCR assay for detection of methicillin and mupirocin resistance and simultaneous discrimination of Staphylococcus aureus from coagulase-negative staphylococci.J Clin Microbiol. 2004; 42: 4947-4955
- Extended-spectrum beta-lactamases in enterobacteriaceae in Buenos Aires, Argentina, public hospitals.Antimicrob Agents Ch. 2003; 47: 2364-2367
- Study of the carbapenem resistance mechanisms in clinical isolates of Acinetobacter baumannii: comparison of burn and non-burn strains.Burns. 2013; 39: 1414-1419
- Interspecies spread of CTX-M-32 extended-spectrum beta-lactamase and the role of the insertion sequence IS1 in down-regulating bla CTX-M gene expression.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2007; 59: 841-847
- Variability of airborne microflora in a hospital ward within a period of one year.Ann Agric Environ Med. 2006; 13: 99-106
- A study of air microbe levels in different areas of a hospital.Curr Microbiol. 2009; 59: 53-58
- Predicting bacterial populations based on airborne particulates: a study performed in nonlaminar flow operating rooms during joint arthroplasty surgery.Am J Infect Control. 2010; 3: 199-204
- Distribution characteristics of airborne bacteria and fungi in the general hospitals of Korea.Ind Health. 2010; 2: 236-243
- Distribution of airborne microbes and antibiotic susceptibility pattern of bacteria during Gwalior trade fair, Central India.J Formos Med Assoc. 2013; 114: 639-646
- Clinical strain of Pseudomonas aeruginosa carrying a bla(TEM-21) gene located on a chromosomal interrupted TnA type transposon.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2002; 46: 3624-3626
- Acinetobacter spp. as nosocomial pathogens: microbiological, clinical, and epidemiological features.Clin Microbiol Rev. 1996; 9: 148-165
- Detection of antibiotic resistance genes associated with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and coagulase-negative staphylococci in hospital air filter dust by PCR.Aerobiologia. 2012; 28: 285-289
- Whole genome sequence of Staphylococcus saprophyticus reveals the pathogenesis of uncomplicated urinary tract infection.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005; 102: 13272-13277
- Staphylococcus haemolyticus as an important hospital pathogen and carrier of methicillin resistance genes.J Clin Microbiol. 2012; 50: 166-168
- Monitoring indoor airborne fungi and bacteria in the different areas of Trakya University Hospital, Edirne, Turkey.Indoor Built Environ. 2002; 11: 285-292
- Mechanisms of antibiotic resistance in Corynebacterium spp. causing infections in people.in: Pana M. Antibiotic resistant bacteria-a continuous challenge in the new millennium. In Tech, Shanghai, China2012: 387-402
- Paenibacillus massiliensis sp. nov., Paenibacillus sanguinis sp. nov. and Paenibacillus timonensis sp. nov., isolated from blood cultures.Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2004; 54: 1049-1054
- Bacteremia caused by Brevundimonas species at a tertiary care hospital in Taiwan, 2000-2010.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2011; 30: 1185-1191
- Stenotrophomonas maltophilia: an emerging global opportunistic pathogen.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2012; 25: 2-41
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.
Funding/Support: Supported with funding from the vice chancellery for research of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences (research project no. 392542 ) as a PhD dissertation thesis.