- •The World Health Organization's concept was useful despite settings with structural differences.
- •Regular workshops for exchanging ideas and experience were successful.
- •We simplified the World Health Organization's method for observation of compliance with hand hygiene.
- •We present a simple way to measure handrub consumption; few examples are available.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- An integrative review of the current evidence on the relationship between hand hygiene interventions and the incidence of health care-associated infections.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 36: 333-348
- Role of hand hygiene in healthcare-associated infection prevention.J Hosp Infect. 2009; 73: 305-315
- Performance feedback increases the incidence of handwashing by staff following patient contact in intensive care.Aust Crit Care. 1995; 8: 8-13
- Hand hygiene and healthcare system change within multi-modal promotion: a narrative review.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 83: S3-10
- WHO guidelines on hand hygiene in health care: first global patient safety challenge clean care is safer care.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2009
- World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki: ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects.JAMA. 2013; 310: 2191-2194
- Establishment of a national surveillance system for alcohol-based hand rub consumption and change in consumption over 4 years.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 618-620
- Measuring hand rub consumption is a good quality indication for hand hygiene.Lakartidningen. 2006; 103: 2207
- Microbiological evaluation of two hand hygiene procedures achieved by healthcare workers during routine patient care: a randomized study.J Hosp Infect. 2005; 60: 32-39
- Hand hygiene in reducing transient flora on the hands of healthcare workers: an educational intervention.Indian J Med Microbiol. 2015; 33: 125-128
- A step-wise approach towards introduction of an alcohol based hand rub, and implementation of front line ownership- using a, rural, tertiary care hospital in central India as a model.BMC Health Serv Res. 2015; 15: 182
- Comparison of acceptability, skin tolerance, and compliance between handwashing and alcohol-based handrub in ICUs: results of a multicentric study.Intensive Care Med. 2009; 35: 1216-1224
- Effects of disinfectants and detergents on skin irritation.Contact Dermatitis. 2007; 57: 235-241
- Skin reactions related to hand hygiene and selection of hand hygiene products.Am J Infect Control. 2006; 34: 627-635
- A prospective multicenter study evaluating skin tolerance to standard hand hygiene techniques.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 39: 6-13
- Dermatological aspects of a successful introduction and continuation of alcohol-based hand rubs for hygienic hand disinfection.J Hosp Infect. 2003; 55: 1-7
- Removal of nail polish and finger rings to prevent surgical infection.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; (CD003325)
- Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings. Recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force. Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America/Association for Professionals in Infection Control/Infectious Diseases Society of America.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2002; 51 (quiz CE1-4): 1-45
- Compliance with hygiene guidelines: the effect of a multimodal hygiene intervention and validation of direct observations.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: e45-8
- Interventions to reduce colonisation and transmission of antimicrobial-resistant bacteria in intensive care units: an interrupted time series study and cluster randomised trial.Lancet Infect Dis. 2014; 14: 31-39
- Use of an alcohol-based hand rub and quality improvement interventions to improve hand hygiene in a Russian neonatal intensive care unit.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2003; 24: 172-179
- Improving adherence to hand hygiene practice: a multidisciplinary approach.Emerg Infect Dis. 2001; 7: 234-240
- Overcrowding and understaffing in modern health-care systems: key determinants in meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus transmission.Lancet Infect Dis. 2008; 8: 427-434
Funding/Support: Supported by the Swedish Institute.
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.