- •An infection control and stewardship program decreases SSIs in cardiac surgery.
- •The impact of serial comprehensive interventions is maintained over time.
- •High single dose gentamicin added to infection control could further decrease SSIs.
- The impact of surgical-site infections in the 1990s: attributable mortality, excess length of hospitalization, and extra costs.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999; 20: 725-730https://doi.org/10.1086/501572
- Surgical site infection: incidence and impact on hospital utilization and treatment costs.Am J Infect Control. 2009; 37: 387-397https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2008.12.010
- Estimating health care-associated infections and deaths in U.S. hospitals, 2002.Public Health Rep. 2007; 122: 160-166
- 10-year follow-up of patients with and without mediastinitis.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004; 16: 70-76https://doi.org/10.1053/j.semtcvs.2004.01.006
- Additive costs of postoperative complications for isolated coronary artery bypass grafting patients in Virginia.Ann Thorac Surg. 2009; 88 (discussion 45-46): 40-45https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2009.03.076
- Perioperative surgical care bundle reduces pancreaticoduodenectomy wound infections.J Surg Res. 2012; 174: 215-221https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2011.09.028
- Perioperative normothermia to reduce the incidence of surgical-wound infection and shorten hospitalization. Study of Wound Infection and Temperature Group.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 1209-1215https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199605093341901
- Poor postoperative blood glucose control increases surgical site infections after surgery for hepato-biliary-pancreatic cancer: a prospective study in a high-volume institute in Japan.J Hosp Infect. 2008; 68: 230-233https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2007.12.002
- Is antibiotic prophylaxis in surgery a generally effective intervention? Testing a generic hypothesis over a set of meta-analyses.Ann Surg. 2009; 249: 551-556https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e318199f202
- Strategies to prevent surgical site infections in acute care hospitals.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: S51-61https://doi.org/10.1086/676022
- Surgical site infection (SSI) event.(Available from:)Updated April 2015; Accessed June, 2015)
- Clinical practice guidelines for antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgery.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2013; 70: 195-283https://doi.org/10.2146/ajhp120568
- National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) report: data summary for 2006 through 2008, issued December 2009.Am J Infect Control. 2009; 37: 783-805https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2009.10.001
- Surgical site infections in cardiac surgery: an 11-year perspective.Am J Infect Control. 2004; 32: 63-68https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2003.09.005
- Surgical site infection rates following cardiac surgery: the impact of a 6-year infection control program.Am J Infect Control. 2005; 33: 450-454https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2005.07.002
- Decrease of deep sternal surgical site infection rates after cardiac surgery by a comprehensive infection control program.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2009; 9: 282-286https://doi.org/10.1510/icvts.2009.205286
- A comparison of 2 surgical site infection monitoring systems.JAMA Surg. 2015; 150: 51-57https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2014.2891
- Improving compliance with timely intraoperative redosing of antimicrobials in surgical prophylaxis.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 1236-1240https://doi.org/10.1086/678058
- Antimicrobial regimen for cardiac surgery: the safety and effectiveness of short-course flucloxacillin (or teicoplanin) and gentamicin-based prophylaxis.J Card Surg. 2013; 28: 512-516https://doi.org/10.1111/jocs.12155
- Association of a bundled intervention with surgical site infections among patients undergoing cardiac, hip, or knee surgery.JAMA. 2015; 313: 2162-2171https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2015.5387
- Effectiveness of a bundled intervention of decolonization and prophylaxis to decrease Gram positive surgical site infections after cardiac or orthopedic surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2013; 346: f2743https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f2743
- Impact of combined low-level mupirocin and genotypic chlorhexidine resistance on persistent methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriage after decolonization therapy: a case-control study.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 52: 1422-1430https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cir233
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.