- •Surveillance is used to discover pathogens of surgical site infection posthip and -knee arthroplasty.
- •Infections after knee arthroplasty tend to occur later versus hip arthroplasty.
- •Preoperative colonization with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is more likely to cause an MRSA surgical site infection.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Hip and knee replacements in Canada: Canadian Joint Replacement Registry Annual Report 2014.(Available from:)Accessed April 19; 2016)
- Available from:)http://hcupnet.ahrq.gov(Accessed November 4)Date: 2015 (
- Hospitalizations, early revisions and infections following joint replacement surgery 2008.(Available from:)Accessed November 4)
- Readmissions after diagnosis of surgical site infection following knee and hip arthroplasty.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 152-157
- Economic burden of periprosthetic joint infection in the United States.J Arthroplasty. 2012; 27: 61
- Prosthetic-joint infections.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1645-1654
- CDC/NHSN surveillance definition of health care-associated infection and criteria for specific types of infections in the acute care setting.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 36: 309-332
- Diagnosis and management of prosthetic joint infection: clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 56: e1-25
- Etiology of surgical site infections after primary total joint arthroplasties.J Orthop Res. 2014; 32: 633-637
- Factors affecting the incidence of infection in hip and knee replacement: an analysis of 5277 cases.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010; 92: 1128-1133
- Delay in diagnosis of invasive surgical site infections following knee arthroplasty versus hip arthroplasty.Clin Infect Dis. 2015; 60: 990-996
- Microbiological aetiology, epidemiology, and clinical profile of prosthetic joint infections: are current antibiotic prophylaxis guidelines effective? Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.Am Soc Microbiol. 2012; 56: 2386-2391
- Low sensitivity of periprosthetic tissue PCR for prosthetic knee infection diagnosis.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2014; 79: 448-453
- Prosthetic joint infection. Clinical microbiology reviews.Am Soc Microbiol. 2014; 27: 302-345
- Sonication of removed hip and knee prostheses for diagnosis of infection.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 654-663
- Prosthetic infection: improvement of diagnostic procedures using 16S ribosomal deoxyribonucleic acid polymerase chain reaction.Int Orthopaed. 2013; 37: 2515-2521
- MRSA colonisation and subsequent risk of infection despite effective eradication in orthopaedic elective surgery.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011; 93: 548-551
- Is preoperative staphylococcal decolonization efficient in total joint arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2015; 30: 444-446
- Preoperative decolonization effective at reducing staphylococcal colonization in total joint arthroplasty patients.J Arthroplasty. 2013; 28: 18-20
- Association of a bundled intervention with surgical site infections among patients undergoing cardiac, hip, or knee surgery.JAMA. 2015; 313: 2162-2171
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.