- •Case-control study of DSWI over 3 year period in a contemporary cardiac surgery service, including a period of increased incidence.
- •Corroborates the role of red blood transfusions as a risk factor for DSWI, with an interaction with preoperative anemia.
- •Novel finding of chronic infections (defined as HIV, HBV, HCV, or bacterial infection ≥ 4 weeks, on antibiotics at surgery) as a risk factor for DSWI.
- •Antibiotic prophylaxis chosen did not cover organisms found in 77% of DSWIs.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Clinical predictors of major infections after cardiac surgery.Circulation. 2005; 112: I358-65
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons 2008 cardiac surgery risk models: part 1-coronary artery bypass grafting surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 2009; 88: S2-22
- Incidence, treatment strategies and outcome of deep sternal wound infection after orthotopic heart transplantation.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2007; 26: 1084-1090
- Risk factors for coronary artery bypass graft chest surgical site infections in New York State, 2008.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 22-28
- Deep sternal wound infection after cardiac surgery.J Cardiothorac Surg. 2013; 8: 1-6
- An update review on risk factors and scales for prediction of deep sternal wound infections.Int Wound J. 2012; 9: 372-386
- Factors associated with deep sternal wound infection and haemorrhage following cardiac surgery in Victora.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2007; 6: 167-171
- Multivariate analysis of risk factors for deep and superficial sternal infection after coronary artery bypass grafting at a tertiary care medical center.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004; 16: 53-61
- Risk factors and mortality associated with deep sternal wound infections following coronary artery bypass surgery with or without concomittant procedures in a UK population: a basis for a new risk model?.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010; 11: 543-546
- Economic aspects of deep sternal wound infections.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2010; 37: 893-896
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons 2008 cardiac surgery risk models: part 2-isolated valve surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 2009; 88: S23-42
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons 2008 cardiac surgery risk models: part 3- valve plus coronary artery bypass grafting surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 2009; 88: S43-62
- CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2015
- Transfusion thresholds and other strategies for guiding allogenic red blood cell transfusion.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; (CD002042)
- Liberal of restrictive transfusion in high-risk patients after hip surgery.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 2453-2462
- Transfusion requirements after cardiac surgery. The TRACS randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2010; 304: 1559-1567
- Transfusion increases the risk of postoperative infection after cardiovascular surgery.J Am Coll Surg. 2006; 202: 131-138
- Blood transfusion and infection after cardiac surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 2013; 95: 2194-2201
- Major bleeding, transfusions, and anemia: the deadly triad of cardiac surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 2013; 96: 478-485
- Morbidity and mortality risk associated with red blood cell and blood-component transfusion in isolated coronary artery bypass grafting.Crit Care Med. 2006; 34: 1608-1616
- Surgical outcomes and transfusion of minimal amounts of blood in the operating room.Arch Surg. 2012; 147: 49-55
- Liberal or restrictive transfusion after cardiac surgery.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 997-1008
- HBcAg induces interleukin-10 production, inhibiting HBcAg-specific Th17 responses in chronic hepatitis B patients.Immunol Cell Biol. 2010; 88: 834-841
- Regulatory T cells in HBV and HCV liver diseases: implication of regulatory T lymphocytes in the control of immune response.Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2010; 10: 1563-1572
- Circulating CD4+ CD25+ regulatory T cells correlate with chronic hepatitis B infection.Immunology. 2008; 123: 57-65
- Is asymptomatic bacteriuria a risk factor for prosthetic joint infection?.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 59: 41-47
- Cefuroxime as antibiotic prophylaxis in coronary artery bypass grafting surgery.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2007; 6: 442-446
- Potential burden of antibiotic resistance on surgery and cancer chemotherapy antibiotic prophylaxis in the USA: a literature review and modelling study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2015; 15: 1429-1437
- The role of postoperative factors in surgical site infections: time to take notice.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 59: 1272-1276
- Methods for identifying surgical wound infection after discharge from hospital: a systematic review.BMC Infect Dis. 2006; 6: 170
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.