- •We describe an extensively drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii outbreak cross-transmitted between an intensive care unit and respiratory intensive care unit.
- •The laminar flow system connecting the intensive care unit and respiratory intensive care unit was the source of transmission.
- •The outbreak terminated after thorough cleaning, including the laminar flow system.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Current control and treatment of multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii infections.Lancet Infect Dis. 2008; 8: 751-762
- Acinetobacter baumannii: emergence of a successful pathogen.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2008; 21: 538-582
- First report of an OXA-23 carbapenemase-producing Acinetobacter baumannii clinical isolate related to Tn2006 in Spain.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013; 57: 589-591
- Spread of multidrug carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in different wards of an Italian hospital.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 39: 790-794
- Outbreak of carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii carrying the carbapenemase OXA-23 in a German university medical centre.J Med Microbiol. 2009; 58: 1499-1507
- Multidrug-resistant, extensively drug-resistant and pandrug-resistant bacteria: an international expert proposal for interim standard definitions for acquired resistance.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2012; 18: 268-281
- A PCR-based method to differentiate between Acinetobacter baumannii and Acinetobacter genomic species 13TU.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2007; 13: 1199-1201
- Methods for dilution antimicrobial susceptibility tests for bacteria that grow aerobically; approved standard-ninth edition (M07-A9).CLSI, Wayne (PA)2012
- Non-susceptibility trends among Pseudomonas aeruginosa and other non-fermentative Gram-negative bacteria from bacteraemias in the UK and Ireland, 2001-06.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2008; 62: ii55-63
- Antimicrobial resistance in Europe and its potential impact on empirical therapy.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2008; 14: 2-8
- Multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in New York City—10 years into the epidemic.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009; 30: 196-197
- Outbreak of extensively drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii indigo-pigmented strains.J Clin Microbiol. 2013; 51: 3726-3730
- Clonal spread and patient risk factors for acquisition of extensively drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in a neonatal intensive care unit in Italy.J Hosp Infect. 2012; 82: 260-265
- Treatment options for carbapenem-resistant and extensively drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii infections.Drugs. 2014; 74: 1315-1333
- The Acinetobacter baumannii oxymoron: commensal hospital dweller turned pan-drug-resistant menace.Front Microbiol. 2012; 3: 148
- Multidrug resistant Acinetobacter.J Glob Infect Dis. 2010; 2: 291-304
- A gloves-associated outbreak of imipenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in an intensive care unit in Guangdong, China.BMC Infect Dis. 2015; 15: 179
- Activities of colistin- and minocycline-based combinations against extensive drug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii isolates from intensive care unit patients.BMC Infect Dis. 2011; 11: 109
- In vitro activity of teicoplanin combined with colistin versus multidrug-resistant strains of Acinetobacter baumannii.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011; 66: 1047-1051
- Potent synergy and sustained bactericidal activity of a vancomycin-colistin combination versus multidrug-resistant strains of Acinetobacter baumannii.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010; 54: 5316-5322
- In vitro activity of tigecycline in combination with various antimicrobials against multidrug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii.Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob. 2009; 8: 18
- Postantibiotic effects of tigecycline, colistin sulfate, and levofloxacin alone or tigecycline-colistin sulfate and tigecycline-levofloxacin combinations against Acinetobacter baumannii.Chemotherapy. 2010; 56: 466-471
- In vitro synergy of colistin combinations against extensively drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii producing OXA-23 carbapenemase.J Chemother. 2016; (in press)https://doi.org/10.1179/1973947815Y.0000000030
- Risk factors of multidrug-resistant, extensively drug-resistant and pandrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii ventilator-associated pneumonia in a medical intensive care unit of university hospital in Thailand.J Infect Chemother. 2015; 21: 570-574
- Higher incidence of acute kidney injury with intravenous colistimethate sodium compared with polymyxin B in critically ill patients at a tertiary care medical center.Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 57: 1300-1303
- Cross-transmission of multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii clonal strains causing episodes of sepsis in a trauma intensive care unit.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: 410-417
Funding/Support: This work was supported by the Research Fund of Xi'an Jiaotong University ( DW081135K0000004 ).
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.