- •Peracetic acid sporicidal wipes were compared with traditional hospital disinfection.
- •Detection rates of indicator organisms with the two methods were similar.
- •HCAI rates with the two methods were not significantly different. However, further long term prospective study is required to confirm this.
- •Peracetic acid wipes were more expensive.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- The role of the surface environment in healthcare-associated infections.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2013; 26: 338-344
- Importance of environmental decontamination—a critical view.J Hosp Infect. 2007; 65: 55-57
- Bactericidal properties of peracetic acid and hydrogen peroxide, alone and in combination, and chlorineand formaldehyde against bacterial water strains.Can J Microbiol. 1992; 38: 635-642
- Guideline for disinfection and sterilization in healthcare facilities, 2008.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta (GA)2008 (Available from:)Accessed August 18, 2015)
- Clinell® sporicidal wipes package insert.GAMA Healthcare Ltd, London, UK2015 (Available from:)Accessed August 8, 2015)
- Clinical and cost effectiveness of eight disinfection methods for terminal disinfection of hospital isolation rooms contaminated with Clostridium difficile 027.J Hosp Infect. 2012; 82: 114-121
- Efficacy of “sporicidal” wipes against Clostridium difficile.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 39: 212-218
- Tackling C. difficile with environmental cleaning.Nurs Times. 2011; 107: 22-25
- How do we assess hospital cleaning? A proposal for microbiological standards for surface hygiene in hospitals.J Hosp Infect. 2004; 56: 10-15
- Lütticken R. Distribution of multi-resistant Gram-negative versus Gram-positive bacteria in the hospital inanimate environment.J Hosp Infect. 2004; 56: 191-197
- The role of environmental cleaning in the control of hospital-acquired infection.J Hosp Infect. 2009; 73: 378-385
- Controlling multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacilli in your hospital: a transformational journey.J Hosp Infect. 2015; 89: 254-258
- Financial burden of hospital-acquired Clostridium difficile infection.J Hosp Infect. 1996; 34: 23-30
- Clinical and economic burden of Clostridium difficile infection in Europe: a systematic review of healthcare-facility-acquired infection.J Hosp Infect. 2012; 81: 1-14
This work was supported by a London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine bench fee.
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.