- •Find, Organize, Clarify, Understand, Select–Plan, Do, Check, Act is used to identify opportunity for improvement of the cesarean section surgical site infection rate.
- •An innovative and evidence-based cesarean section surgical site infection reduction bundle is developed.
- •Implementing the bundle is associated with a 98.4% reduction of cesarean section surgical site infection rate.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- The impact of surgical-site infections in the 1990s: attributable mortality, excess length of hospitalization, and extra costs.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999; 20: 725-730
- Risk factors for wound infection following cesarean deliveries.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2005; 90: 10-15
- Obstetric surgical site infections: 2 grams compared with 3 grams of cefazolin in morbidly obese women.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 126: 708-715
- Centers for disease control and prevention (CDC) hospital infection control practices advisory committee. Guideline for prevention of surgical site infection, 1999.Am J Infect Control. 1999; 27: 97-132
- Surgical site infection event.(Available from:)Accessed June 22, 2015)
- The new economics for industry, government and education.Massachusetts Institution of Technology Center for Advanced Engineering Study, Cambridge (MA)1993
- Morbidity and mortality conference as part of PDCA cycle to decrease anastomotic failure in colorectal surgery.Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2011; 396: 1009-1015
- Perioperative standards and recommended practices.AORN, Inc, Denver (CO)2009
- National Patient Safety Goal 7 (NPSG 7): Reduce the Risk of Health Care-Associated Infections.Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organization, 2009
- Guideline for hand hygiene in health-care settings: recommendations of the healthcare infection control practices advisory committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA hand hygiene task force.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2002; 51: 1-45
- A simple checklist for preventing major complications associated with cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 116: 1393-1396
- Methods of delivering the placenta at caesarean section.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008; (CD004737)
- A Randomized study comparing skin closure in cesarean sections: staples vs. subcuticular sutures.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 200: 1-4
- Staples vs. subcuticular sutures for skin closure at Cesarean delivery: a metaanalysis of randomized controlled trials.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 204: 378-383
- Decreasing cesarean section surgical site infection: an ongoing comprehensive quality improvement program.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 429-431
- What is a bundle?.(Available from:)
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.
Additional Information: Publication of this quality improvement project was approved by Nassau University Medical Center Institutional Review Board.