- •The impact of meropenem resistance in patients with Pseudomonas aeruginosa infections was assessed.
- •Meropenem resistance resulted in a 2.89-fold increase in mortality in hospitalized patients.
- •Resistance to meropenem was independently associated with increased total hospital cost.
- •A 3-tiered patient care cleaning program was effective at reducing the incidence of multidrug-resistant organisms.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- The role of international travel in the worldwide spread of multiresistant enterobacteriaceae.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012; 67: 2090-2100
- Carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae: epidemiology and prevention.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 53: 60-67
- Updated functional classification of beta-lactamases.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010; 54: 969-976
- Emergence of a new antibiotic resistance mechanism in India, Pakistan, and the UK: a molecular, biological, and epidemiological study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2010; 10: 597-602
- NDM-1 and the role of travel in its dissemination.Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2012; 14: 213-226
- AmpC beta-lactamases.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2009; 22: 161-182
- Antibiotic resistance threats in the United States, 2013; Available from:)Accessed June 23, 2015) (
- Update on Acinetobacter species: mechanisms of antimicrobial resistance and contemporary in vitro activity of minocycline and other treatment options.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 59: S367-73
- The current state of multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacilli in North America.Pharmacotherapy. 2008; 28: 235-249
- Impact of multi-drug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii on clinical outcomes.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2007; 26: 793-800
- Imipenem resistance among pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates: risk factors for infection and impact of resistance on clinical and economic outcomes.Infect Control Hosp Epidmiol. 2006; 27: 893-900
- Epidemiology and impact of imipenem resistance in Acinetobacter baumannii.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009; 30: 1186-1192
- Attributable hospital cost and length of stay associated with healthcare-associated infections caused by antibiotic-resistant gram-negative bacteria.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009; 54: 109-115
- Imipenem and meropenem: comparison of in vitro activity, pharmacokinetics, clinical trials, and adverse effects.Can J Infect Dis. 1998; 9: 215-228
- Hospital and societal costs of antimicrobial-resistant infections in a Chicago teaching hospital: implications for antibiotic stewardship.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 49: 1175-1184
- Guidelines for the management of adults with hospital-acquired, ventilator-associated, and healthcare-associated pneumonia.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 171: 388-416
- Acinetobacter baumannii: association between environmental contamination of patient rooms and occupant status.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 517-520
- Use of adherence monitors as part of a team approach to control clonal spread of multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in a research hospital.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 1166-1172
- Duration of hypotension before initiation of effective antimicrobial therapy is the critical determinant of survival in human septic shock.Crit Care Med. 2006; 34: 1589-1596
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.