- •Environmental investigation in the context of an outbreak can be an arduous task.
- •If it is Klebsiella oxytoca sinks/washbasins and drains must be sampled.
- •It is necessary perform sampling always before cleaning the area.
- •It is important to concentrate the water samples to maximize bacterial recovery.
- •For cultures, it is helpful to use an enrichment broth which favors growth.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Guidelines for environmental infection control in health-care facilities.2003: 88-140
- Outbreak of extended-spectrum ß-lactamase–producing Klebsiella oxytoca infections associated with contaminated handwashing sinks.Emerg Infect Dis. 2012; 18: 1242-1247
- Wastewater drainage system as an occult reservoir in a protracted clonal outbreak due to metallo-ß-lactamase producing Klebsiella oxytoca.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013; 19: E490-8
- Isolation of multidrug-resistant Klebsiella oxytoca carrying blaIMP-8, associated with OXY hyperproduction, in the intensive care unit of a community hospital in Spain.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2010; 65: 1071-1073
- Molecular epidemiology of ceftazidime-resistant Gram-negative bacilli on inanimate surfaces and their role in cross-transmission during non-outbreak periods.J Clin Microbiol. 1999; 37: 3065-3067
- Drainage systems, an occluded source of sanitation-related outbreaks.Arch Public Health. 2015; 73: 8
- Environmental contamination with extended-spectrum ß-lactamase: is there any difference between Escherichia coli and Klebsiella spp?.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 845-848
- Environmental contamination by carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae.J Clin Microbiol. 2012; 51: 177-181
- Comparison of two sampling methods for the detection of Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria in the environment: moistened swabs versus Rodac plates.Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2001; 203: 245-248
- Search and you will find: detecting extended-spectrum ß-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae from a patient's immediate environment.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 534-536
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.