- •The prevalence of urinary tract infections (UTIs), risk factors and postoperative outcomes has been long investigated but the results were controversial.
- •Our study indicated that rate of UTIs was high in kidney transplant patients. Female sex, elderly age, long duration of catheter, acute rejection episodes and cadaveric donor will increase the risk of UTIs.
- •This study is an extension of our previous work on hospital-acquired infection of different disease, such as renal transplantation, haemodialysis and acute leukemia, etc.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Effect of ciprofloxacin combined with sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim prophylaxis on the incidence of urinary tract infections after kidney transplantation.Transplantation. 2013; 96: 400-405
- Common infections in kidney transplant recipients.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 7: 2058-2070
- Infectious complications of solid organ transplantations.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2001; 15: 521-549
- Independent risk factors for urinary tract infection and for subsequent bacteremia or acute cellular rejection: a single-center report of 1166 kidney allograft recipients.Transplantation. 2013; 96: 732-738
- Urinary tract infections after renal transplantation.Curr Opin Urol. 2002; 12: 125-130
- Infection in solid-organ transplant recipients.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 2601-2614
- Bacterial infections after renal transplantation.Nephron. 1997; 75: 140-153
- Infective complications in renal allograft recipients: epidemiology and outcome.Transplant Proc. 2008; 40: 1873-1876
- Urinary tract infection in renal transplant recipients.Eur J Clin Invest. 2008; 38: 58-65
- Urinary tract infections in renal allograft recipients from living related donors.Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2008; 19: 551
- Microbial ureteral stent colonization in renal transplant recipients: frequency and influence on the short-time functional outcome.Transpl Infect Dis. 2012; 14: 57-63
- Early urinary tract infection in kidney transplantation. Risk factors and impact on graft survival.Medicina. 2005; 65: 409-414
- Infectious complications after kidney transplantation: current epidemiology and associated risk factors.Clin Transplant. 2006; 20: 401-409
- Risk factors for urinary tract infections during the first year after kidney transplantation.Transplant Proc. 2010; 42: 280-281
- Urinary tract infections in renal transplant recipients.Transplant Proc. 2011; 43: 2985-2990
- Gender has no influence on VUR rates after renal transplantation.Transpl Int. 2014; 27: 1152-1158
- Predisposing factors to the development of urinary tract infections in renal transplant recipients and the impact on the long-term graft function.Ren Fail. 2011; 33: 405-410
- Bacterial urinary tract infection after solid organ transplantation in the RESITRA cohort.Transpl Infect Dis. 2012; 14: 595-603
- Lower risk of urinary tract infection with low-dose trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole compared to dapsone prophylaxis in older renal transplant patients on a rapid steroid-withdrawal immunosuppression regimen.Clin Transplant. 2010; 24: 636-642
- Nosocomial infections in renal transplant patients: risk factors and treatment implications associated with urinary tract and surgical site infections.J Hosp Infect. 2006; 63: 117-123
- Urinary tract infections after renal transplantation: a retrospective review at two US transplant centers.Clin Transplant. 2005; 19: 230-235
- Acute yelonephritis represents a risk factor impairing long-term kidney graft function.Am J Transplant. 2007; 7: 899-907
- Urinary tract infections following renal transplantation: a single-center experience.Transplant Proc. 2007; 39: 3131-3134
- Urinary tract infection due to Corynebacterium urealyticum in kidney transplant recipients: an underdiagnosed etiology for obstructive uropathy and graft dysfunction-results of a prospective cohort study.Clin Infect Dis. 2008; 46: 825-830
- Predictors and outcomes of candiduria in renal transplant recipients.Clin Infect Dis. 2005; 40: 1413-1421
- Urinary tract infection and kidney transplantation: a review of diagnosis, causes, and current clinical approach.Transplant Proc. 2013; 45: 1590-1592
- Urinary tract infection in the renal transplant patient.Nat Clin Pract Nephrol. 2008; 4: 252-264
- Acute graft pyelonephritis following renal transplantation.Transpl Infect Dis. 2006; 8: 140-147
- Clinical significance of post-transplantation vesicoureteral reflux during short-term period after kidney transplantation.Transplant Proc. 2008; 40: 2339-2341
- Urinary tract infections following renal transplantation.Clin Transplant. 1998; 12: 19-23
- Impact of stents on urological complications and health care expenditure in renal transplant recipients: results of a prospective, randomized clinical trial.J Urol. 2007; 177: 2260-2264
- Stented ureterovesical anastomosis in renal transplantation: does it influence the rate of urinary tract infections?.Eur J Med Res. 2010; 15: 297
- Is routine ureteric stenting needed in kidney transplantation? A randomized trial.Transplantation. 2000; 70: 597-601
- Impact of double-J ureteric stent in kidney transplantation: single-centre experience.Transplant Proc. 2008; 40: 3173-3175
- Routine insertion of ureteral stent in live-donor renal transplantation: is it worthwhile?.Urology. 2005; 65: 867-871
- Urinary tract infection in the immunocompromised host: lessons from kidney transplantation and the AIDS epidemic.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 1997; 11: 707-717
- Acute graft pyelonephritis and long-term kidney allograft outcome.Kidney Int. 2002; 61: 1880-1886
- Early catheter removal decreases incidence of urinary tract infections in renal transplant recipient.Transplant Proc. 1998; 30: 4314-4316
- Urinary tract infection associated with ureteral stents in renal transplantation.Can J Urol. 1998; 5: 462-466
- Prevalence of urinary tract infection during outpatient follow-up after renal transplantation.Infection. 1997; 25: 101-105
- Prospective study of urinary tract infection surveillance after kidney transplantation.BMC Infect Dis. 2010; 10: 245
- Epidemiology of urinary infections in renal transplant recipients.Transplant Proc. 2006; 38: 2414-2415
Financial support was provided by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (grant No. 81400598 ) and Shandong Province Science and Technology Development Plan of China (grant No. 2013GSF11801 ).
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.
XW conceived and designed the experiments and performed the experiments. XW, YL, and YL analyzed the data. XW, YS, and JW contributed materials and analysis tools. XW drafted the manuscript. YD revised the manuscript critically for important intellectual content. SW provided final approval of the version to be published. XW and YD agreed to be accountable for all aspects of the work.