- •The optimal method to prevent hospital-acquired LD is not well established.
- •There are no data regarding the efficacy of interventions in the reduction of the incidence of hospital-acquired LD.
- •Copper-silver ionization and Ultraviolet light decreased the risk of Legionella positivity in environmental samples.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Legionella and legionnaires' disease: 25 years of investigation.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2002; 15: 506-526
- Contribuição para o estudo do género Legionella e sua ocorrência em Portugal.(PhD Dissertation)1996
- Prevention of hospital-acquired legionellosis.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2011; 24: 350-356
- Hospital-acquired legionellosis: solutions for a preventable infection.Lancet. 2002; 2: 368-373
- Diagnosis of Legionella infection.Clin Infect Dis. 2003; 36: 64-69
- (World Health Organization. Legionellosis; Available from:)Accessed November 8, 2011)
- Doença dos Legionários: Protocolo de diagnóstico.(Ministério da Saúde (Portugal))2003
- A propósito do lançamento do Programa de Vigilância Epidemiológica Integrada da Doença dos Legionários.Revista de Infecções Respiratórias. 2005; 1: 28-32
- Chapter 8: Assessing risk of bias in included studies.in: Higgins J.P.T. Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0 (updated March 2011). The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011 (Available from)
- Meta-analysis in clinical trials.Control Clin Trials. 1986; 7: 177-188
- Issues in the selection of a summary statistic for meta-analysis of clinical trials with binary outcomes.Stat Med. 2002; 21: 1575-1600
- Statistical methods for examining heterogeneity and combining results from several studies in meta-analysis.in: Egger M. Davey Smith G. Altman D.G. Systematic reviews in health care: meta-analysis in context. 2nd ed. BMJ Publication Group, London2001: 313-335
- Efficacy of point-of-entry copper-silver ionisation system in eradicating Legionella pneumophila in a tropical tertiary care hospital: implications for hospitals contaminated with Legionella in both hot and cold water.J Hosp Infect. 2008; 68: 152-158
- Controlled evaluation of copper-silver ionization in eradicating Legionella pneumophila from a hospital water distribution system.J Infect Dis. 1994; 169: 919-922
- Intermittent use of copper-silver ionization for legionella control in water distribution systems: a potential option in buildings housing individuals at low risk of infection.Clin Infect Dis. 1998; 26: 138-140
- Evaluation of ultraviolet light for disinfection of hospital water contaminated with Legionella.Lancet. 1988; : 669-671
- Minimizing the risk of legionellosis associated with building water systems.ASHRAE, EEUU2000
- Assessing risk of health care-acquired legionnaires' disease from environmental sampling: the limits of using a strict percent positivity approach.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 917-921
- Chlorine, heat: popular ways to beat Legionella.Am Health Facil Manage. 1992; 5(5): 28, 30, 32-4
Financial support: None reported.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.