- •Medical trainees can be engaged through the use of social media.
- •Social media can be used to increase awareness and use of educational tools.
- •Clinical pathway use increased through increased awareness and periodic reminders.
- •Antibiotic knowledge increased as a result of following our program on social media.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America guidelines for developing an institutional program to enhance antimicrobial stewardship.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: 159-177
- The HCAP gap: differences between self-reported practice patterns and published guidelines for health care-associated pneumonia.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 49: 1868-1874
- Implementing a standardized order set for community-acquired pneumonia: impact on mortality and cost.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2009; 35: 414-421
- The impact of standardized order sets on quality and financial outcomes.in: Henriksen K. Battles J.B. Keyes M.A. Grady M.L. Advances in patient safety: new directions and alternative approaches (vol. 2: culture and redesign). Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US), Rockville (MD)2008 (Available at:)http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/quality-patient-safety/patient-safety-resources/resources/advances-in-patient-safety-2/index.html(Accessed September 1, 2014)
- Better rested, but more stressed? Evidence of the effects of resident work hour restrictions.Acad Pediatr. 2012; 12: 335-343
- Restricting resident work hours: the good, the bad, and the ugly.Crit Care Med. 2012; 40: 960-966
- Viral advertising in social media: participation in Facebook groups and responses among college-aged users.J Interact Advert. 2011; 12: 30-43
- The use of social media to supplement resident medical education—the SMART-ME initiative.Med Educ Online. 2016; 21: 29332
- Understanding the factors that influence the adoption and meaningful use of social media by physicians to share medical information.J Med Internet Res. 2012; 14: e117
- Review of Twitter for infectious diseases clinicians: useful or a waste of time?.Clin Infect Dis. 2015; 60: 1533-1540
- Photos and videos as social currency online.(Pew Internet & American Life Project 9/13/2012)2012 (Available at:)Accessed September 1, 2014)
- Americans' internet access: 2000-2015.Pew Research Center, 2015 (Available at:)Accessed August 29, 2016)
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Vital signs: improving antibiotic use among hospitalized patients.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 194-200
- Core elements of hospital antibiotic stewardship programs from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 59: S97-100
- The influence of inadequate antimicrobial treatment of bloodstream infections on patient outcomes in the ICU setting.Chest. 2000; 118: 146-155
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa bloodstream infection: importance of appropriate initial antimicrobial treatment.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005; 49: 1306-1311
- Predictors of 30-day mortality among patients with Pseudomonas aeruginosa bloodstream infections: impact of delayed appropriate antibiotic selection.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2007; 51: 3510-3515
- Antimicrobial use in Europe and antimicrobial resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniae.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2007; 26: 485-490
- Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society consensus guidelines on the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adults.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: S27-72
- Guidelines for the management of adults with hospital-acquired, ventilator-associated, and healthcare-associated pneumonia.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 171: 388-416
Funding/Support: Supported by a Pfizer Medical Education Grant. The REDCap project is hosted and managed by the Center for Research Informatics and funded by the Biological Sciences Division and by the Institute for Translational Medicine, Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) grant number UL1 TR000430, from the National Institutes of Health.
Conflicts of Interest: J.P. received research funding from Pfizer; the other authors have no conflicts of interest relevant to this article.