- •Medical trainees can be engaged through the use of social media.
- •Social media can be used to increase awareness and use of educational tools.
- •Clinical pathway use increased through increased awareness and periodic reminders.
- •Antibiotic knowledge increased as a result of following our program on social media.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America guidelines for developing an institutional program to enhance antimicrobial stewardship.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: 159-177
- The HCAP gap: differences between self-reported practice patterns and published guidelines for health care-associated pneumonia.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 49: 1868-1874
- Implementing a standardized order set for community-acquired pneumonia: impact on mortality and cost.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2009; 35: 414-421
- The impact of standardized order sets on quality and financial outcomes.in: Henriksen K. Battles J.B. Keyes M.A. Grady M.L. Advances in patient safety: new directions and alternative approaches (vol. 2: culture and redesign). Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US), Rockville (MD)2008 (Available at:)http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/quality-patient-safety/patient-safety-resources/resources/advances-in-patient-safety-2/index.html(Accessed September 1, 2014)
- Better rested, but more stressed? Evidence of the effects of resident work hour restrictions.Acad Pediatr. 2012; 12: 335-343
- Restricting resident work hours: the good, the bad, and the ugly.Crit Care Med. 2012; 40: 960-966
- Viral advertising in social media: participation in Facebook groups and responses among college-aged users.J Interact Advert. 2011; 12: 30-43
- The use of social media to supplement resident medical education—the SMART-ME initiative.Med Educ Online. 2016; 21: 29332
- Understanding the factors that influence the adoption and meaningful use of social media by physicians to share medical information.J Med Internet Res. 2012; 14: e117
- Review of Twitter for infectious diseases clinicians: useful or a waste of time?.Clin Infect Dis. 2015; 60: 1533-1540
- Photos and videos as social currency online.(Pew Internet & American Life Project 9/13/2012)2012 (Available at:)Accessed September 1, 2014)
- Americans' internet access: 2000-2015.Pew Research Center, 2015 (Available at:)Accessed August 29, 2016)
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Vital signs: improving antibiotic use among hospitalized patients.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 194-200
- Core elements of hospital antibiotic stewardship programs from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 59: S97-100
- The influence of inadequate antimicrobial treatment of bloodstream infections on patient outcomes in the ICU setting.Chest. 2000; 118: 146-155
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa bloodstream infection: importance of appropriate initial antimicrobial treatment.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005; 49: 1306-1311
- Predictors of 30-day mortality among patients with Pseudomonas aeruginosa bloodstream infections: impact of delayed appropriate antibiotic selection.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2007; 51: 3510-3515
- Antimicrobial use in Europe and antimicrobial resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniae.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2007; 26: 485-490
- Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society consensus guidelines on the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adults.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: S27-72
- Guidelines for the management of adults with hospital-acquired, ventilator-associated, and healthcare-associated pneumonia.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 171: 388-416
Funding/Support: Supported by a Pfizer Medical Education Grant . The REDCap project is hosted and managed by the Center for Research Informatics and funded by the Biological Sciences Division and by the Institute for Translational Medicine , Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) grant number UL1 TR000430 , from the National Institutes of Health .
Conflicts of Interest: J.P. received research funding from Pfizer; the other authors have no conflicts of interest relevant to this article.