- Galang R.R.
- Gentry J.
- Peters P.J.
- Brooks J.T.
|Mode of HIV transmission||Unsafe injection (medical)||Unsafe injection (nonmedical)|
|Timing of HIV spread||Rapid (mo)||Rapid (mo)|
|Preoutbreak community HIV prevalence||Low (0.6%)||Low (<0.1%)|
|Community access to HIV testing||Minimal||Minimal|
|Outbreak HCV infection prevalence||High (82%)||High (92%)|
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Cluster of HIV infections attributed to unsafe injection practices—Cambodia, December 1, 2014–February 28, 2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 142-145
- Community outbreak of HIV infection linked to injection drug use of Oxymorphone–Indiana, 2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015; 64: 443-444
- HIV-1 and HCV molecular epidemiology of a large community outbreak of HIV-1 infection linked to injection drug use of oxymorphone – Indiana, 2015 (Abstract MOAC0304LB).International AIDS Society (IAS), Vancouver, Canada2015 (July 19–22; Available from:)Accessed November 18, 2016)
- Investigation of bloodborne viruses from a nosocomial outbreak in rural Cambodia.International Scientific Symposium, Institut Pasteur International Network, Paris, France2015
- Increases in drug and opioid overdose Deaths—United States, 2000-2014.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 64: 1378-1382
- An outbreak of HIV infection linked to injection drug use of Oxymorphone—Indiana, 2014 – 2015.N Engl J Med. 2016; 357: 229-239
- Networks of HCV transmissions among persons who inject drugs: Indiana, 2015.CROI, Boston (MA)2015 (February 22–25; Available from:)Accessed November 18, 2016)
- Estimation of HIV incidence in the United States.JAMA. 2008; 300: 520-529
- HIV Surveillance Report, 2014.(Available from:)Accessed February 29, 2016)
- Notes from the field: occupationally acquired HIV infection among health care workers—United States, 1985-2013.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015; 63: 1245-1246
- The global state of harm reduction: towards an integrated response.(Available from:)Accessed February 29, 2016)
- Unsafe injections in the developing world and transmission of bloodborne pathogens: a review.Bull World Health Organ. 1999; 77: 789-800
- The global burden of disease attributable to contaminated injections given in health care settings.Int J STD AIDS. 2004; 15: 7-16
- CDC grand rounds: preventing unsafe injection practices in the U.S. health-care system.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013; 62: 423-425
- World drug report.(Available from:)Accessed February 29, 2016)
- The GAP report.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta (GA)2015 (December 6–9; Available from:)Accessed February 29, 2016)
- Emerging epidemic of hepatitis C virus infections among young nonurban persons who inject drugs in the United States, 2006-2012.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 59: 1411-1419
- Vital signs: overdoses of prescription opioid pain relievers–United States, 1999–2008.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011; 60: 1487-1492
Van Handel M., Van Handel M.. US counties vulnerable to large HIV epidemics among PWID in special session: unsafe injection practices among people who inject drugs in rural communities: a new phase of the HIV epidemic? In: Conference Program 2015 National HIV Prevention Conference (Special Session 13). Atlanta, GA: 2015.
Funding/support: Funding for the outbreak investigation in Indiana was provided by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC's work on the Cambodia outbreak was supported by the U.S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief .
Disclaimer: The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.