- •A multifaceted intervention to reduce catheter-associated urinary tract infections is described.
- •The intervention entailed an electronic health record tool to identify urinary catheter use, daily interdisciplinary round queries on catheter necessity to clinicians, and provider education.
- •Mean catheter days, catheter-associated urinary tract infection rates, and cost were reduced.
We developed a multidisciplinary initiative, “Lose the Tube,” focused on a Choosing Wisely recommendation to decrease catheter-associated urinary tract infection (CAUTI) rates and catheter days. Through an electronic health record catheter identification tool, daily interdisciplinary query, and clinician education, our multifaceted intervention reduced mean per-person catheter days from 3.3 to 2.9, decreased CAUTI rates from 2.85 to 0.32 per 1,000 catheter days, and reduced cost by $32,245.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Clinical and economic consequences of nosocomial catheter-related bacteriuria.Am J Infect Control. 2000; 28: 68-75
- Mortality associated with nosocomial urinary-tract infection.N Engl J Med. 1982; 307: 637-642
- Choosing wisely in adult hospital medicine: five opportunities for improved healthcare value.J Hosp Med. 2013; 8: 486-492
- Are physicians aware of which of their patients have indwelling urinary catheters?.Am J Med. 2000; 109: 476-480
- Estimating hospital costs of catheter-associated urinary tract infection.J Hosp Med. 2013; 8: 519-522
- Disrupting the life cycle of the urinary catheter.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 52: 1291-1293
Published online: December 02, 2016
Conflicts of interest: None to report.
© 2017 Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.