- •Multidrug resistant-gram negative bacteria colonization ranged from 11.2%-59.1%.
- •E coli accounted for the largest proportion of isolates.
- •The most common site of colonization was rectal, followed by nasal, sputum, urinary tract and wound.
- •Colonization was significantly higher in studies conducted in United States (38%) compared to other countries (14%).
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacterial infections in the hospital setting: overview, implications for clinical practice, and emerging treatment options.Microb Drug Resist. 2016; 22: 412-431
- Current epidemiology of multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacilli in the United States.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31 (S51-4)
- Multi-site gram-negative bacilli surveillance initiative.(Available from:)http://www.cdc.gov/hai/eip/mugsi.html(Accessed January 9, 2016)Date: 2015
- Combating multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacterial infections.Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2014; 23: 163-182
- The epidemic of antibiotic-resistant infections: a call to action for the medical community from the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2008; 46: 155-164
- Multidrug-resistant organism infections in US nursing homes: a national study of prevalence, onset, and transmission across care settings, October 1, 2010-December 31, 2011.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35 (S48-55)
- Multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacteria among patients who require chronic hemodialysis.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008; 3: 752-758
- Diagnostic challenge of bloodstream infections in long-term care.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2011; 12: 166-168
- Impact of inappropriate empiric antimicrobial therapy on mortality of septic patients with bacteremia: a retrospective study.Interdiscip Perspect Infect Dis. 2012; 2012: 765205
- Bacteremia in a multilevel geriatric hospital.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2011; 12: 204-207
- Conceptual model for reducing infections and antimicrobial resistance in skilled nursing facilities: focusing on residents with indwelling devices.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 52: 654-661
- Patient-level interventions to prevent the acquisition of resistant gram-negative bacteria in critically ill patients: a systematic review.Anaesth Intensive Care. 2015; 43: 23-33
- Appropriate initial antibiotic therapy in hospitalized patients with gram-negative infections: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Infect Dis. 2015; 15: 395
- Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (MOOSE) group.JAMA. 2000; 283: 2008-2012
- Influx of multidrug resistant, Gram-negative bacteria (MDRGNB) in a public hospital among elderly patients from long-term care facilities: a single-center pilot study.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2012; 54 (e19-22)
- The feasibility of creating a checklist for the assessment of the methodological quality both of randomised and non-randomised studies of health care interventions.J Epidemiol Community Health. 1998; 52: 377-384
- Obstetric anal sphincter injury and anal incontinence following vaginal birth: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Midwifery Womens Health. 2015; 60: 37-47
- Intrauterine contraception continuation in adolescents and young women: a systematic review.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2016; 29: 659-667
- The burden of multidrug-resistant organisms on tertiary hospitals posed by patients with recent stays in long-term acute care facilities.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 760-765
- How should meta-regression analyses be undertaken and interpreted?.Stat Med. 2002; 21: 1559-1573
- Publication bias in meta-analysis: prevention, assessment, and adjustments.John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., West Sussex, England2005
- Multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacteria: inter- and intradissemination among nursing homes of residents with advanced dementia.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 930-935
- Multidrug-resistant bacteria in geriatric clinics, nursing homes, and ambulant care—prevalence and risk factors.Int J Med Microbiol. 2013; 303: 405-409
- Current prevalence of multidrug-resistant organisms in long-term care facilities in the Rhine-Main district, Germany, 2013.Euro Surveill. 2015; 20 (pii: 21171)
- Changes in colonization of residents and staff of a long-term care facility and an adjacent acute-care hospital geriatric unit by multidrug-resistant bacteria over a four-year period.Scand J Infect Dis. 2014; 46: 114-122
- Infection management and multidrug-resistant organisms in nursing home residents with advanced dementia.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 1660-1667
- Colonization with multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacteria: prolonged duration and frequent cocolonization.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 48: 1375-1381
- The emerging threat of multidrug-resistant gram-negative organisms in long-term care facilities.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2009; 64: 138-141
- Multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacteria in a long-term care facility: prevalence and risk factors.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008; 56: 1276-1280
- Influx of multidrug-resistant, gram-negative bacteria in the hospital setting and the role of elderly patients with bacterial bloodstream infection.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009; 30: 325-331
- Multidrug-resistant gram-negative bloodstream infections among residents of long-term care facilities.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 519-526
- Keeping the “home” in nursing home: implications for infection prevention.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 853-854
- Infection prevention and control in nursing homes: a qualitative study of decision-making regarding isolation-based practices.BMJ Qual Saf. 2015; 24: 630-636
- Preventing the spread of multidrug-resistant gram-negative pathogens: recommendations of an expert panel of the German Society For Hygiene and Microbiology.Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2012; 109: 39-45
- Colonization with multi-drug resistant organisms in nursing homes: scope, importance, and management.Curr Geriatr Rep. 2015; 4: 87-95
- Facing the challenge of multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacilli in Australia.Med J Aust. 2015; 202: 243-247
- National strategy for combating antibiotic resistant bacteria.(Available from:)Accessed May 15, 2016)
- 10 × ‘20 Progress—development of new drugs active against gram-negative bacilli: an update from the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 56: 1685-1694
SA is supported by an award from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the UnitedHealth Group Foundation . The sponsors had no role in the design, methods, data collection, analysis, and writing of this manuscript.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.