- •Patients on mechanical ventilation are at risk for ventilator-associated pneumonia.
- •An outbreak of ventilator-associated pneumonia occurred in our surgical intensive care unit.
- •Burkholderia cepacia was confirmed as the causative pathogen.
- •Immediate ventilator cleaning and treatment after use was instituted.
- •The highest standards of hygiene are required in the health care environment.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Incidence and characteristics of ventilator-associated events reported to the National Healthcare Safety Network in 2014.Crit Care Med. 2016; 44: 2154-2162
- An outbreak of Burkholderia cepacia bacteremia in hospitalized hematology patients selectively affecting those with acute myeloid leukemia.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 312-316
- National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Report, Data Summary for 2012, Device-associated Module.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 1148-1166
- A multicenter prospective monitoring on incidences of ventilator associated pneumonia in 46 hospitals in China.Chin Infect Control. 2015; 14: 540-543
- Clinical characteristics and outcomes of patients with Burkholderia cepacia bacteremia in an intensive care unit.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2011; 70: 260-266
- Burkholderia sepsis in children as a hospital-acquired infection.Yonsei Med J. 2016; 57: 97-102
- Chinese guideline for the construction and management in ICU.2009
- Exploitation and application of Beijing nosocomial infection surveillance and management system.Chin J Noso. 2008; 18: 985-987
- Guidelines for preventing health-care-associated pneumonia, 2003.Respir Care. 2004; 49: 926-939
- Impact of the ventilator bundle on ventilator associated pneumonia in intensive care unit.Int J Qual Health Care. 2011; 23: 538-544
- Impact of surveillance of hospital-acquired infections on the incidence of ventilator-associated pneumonia in intensive care units: a quasi-experimental study.Crit Care. 2012; 16: 1-8
- Criteria of diagnosis of nosocomial infection, hospital infection or hospital acquired infection.2001
- Chinese nosocomial infection management regulations.2006
- Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing, 25th informational supplement. M100-S25.(Wayne (PA))2015
- Healthcare-associated respiratory tract infection and colonization in an intensive care unit caused by Burkholderia cepacia isolated in mouthwash.Int J Infect Dis. 2014; 29: 96-99
- Hospital-wide outbreak of Burkholderia contaminans caused by prefabricated moist washcloths.J Hosp Infect. 2011; 77: 267-270
- Moisturizing body milk as a reservoir of Burkholderia cepacia: outbreak of a nosocomial infection in a multidisciplinary intensive care unit.Crit Care. 2008; 12: R10
- Burkholderia cepacia lower respiratory tract infection associated with exposure to a respiratory therapist.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2001; 22: 423-426
- Case-crossover study of Burkholderia cepacia complex bloodstream infection associated with contaminated intravenous bromopride.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 516-521
- Hospital outbreak of Burkholderia stabilis bacteraemia related to contaminated chlorhexidine in haematological malignancy patients with indwelling catheters.J Hosp Infect. 2008; 70: 241-245
- Outbreak of Burkholderia cepacia bacteremia traced to contaminated hospital water used for dilution of an alcohol skin antiseptic.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2004; 25: 231-239
- Outbreak of Burkholderia cepacia complex among ventilated pediatric patients linked to hospital sinks.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 39: 775-778
Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China. Notification of issues about antimicrobials usage management in clinical settings. 2001.
- Isolation from clinical sources of Burkholderia cepacia possessing characteristics of Burkholderia gladioli.J Antimicrob Chemother. 1997; 39: 169-175
- Cross-resistance to nalidixic acid, trimethoprim, and chloramphenicol associated with alterations in outer membrane proteins of Klebsiella, Enterobacter, and Serratia.J Infect Dis. 1985; 151: 501-507
- Improving ventilator-associated event surveillance in the National Healthcare Safety Network and addressing knowledge gaps: update and review.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2014; 27: 394-400
Funding/support: Supported by a grant from China-Japan Friendship Hospital and National Science Grant for Distinguished Young Scholars (81425001/H0104).
Conflicts of interest: None to report.