- •Stethoscope Hygiene is rarely done. We report a rate of zero.
- •Standard provider education, reminder flyers, and provision of cleaning supplies at the start of clinical rotations are insufficient to improve stethoscope hygiene rates.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Contamination of stethoscopes and physicians' hands after a physical examination.Mayo Clin Proc. 2014; 89: 291-299
- The stethoscope and healthcare-associated infection: a snake in the grass or innocent bystander?.J Hosp Infect. 2015; 91: 1-7
- Ethanol-based cleanser versus isopropyl alcohol to decontaminate stethoscopes.Am J Infect Control. 2009; 37: 241-243
- The third hand: low rates of stethoscope hygiene on general medical services.J Hosp Med. 2015; 10: 457-458
- Guideline for disinfection and sterilization in healthcare facilities, 2008.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta (GA)2008
- Healthcare personnel attire in non-operating-room settings.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 107-121
- Predictors of stethoscope disinfection among pediatric health care providers.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 922-925
- Improving stethoscope disinfection at a children's hospital.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 1189-1193
- Enhanced performance feedback and patient participation to improve hand hygiene compliance of health-care workers in the setting of established multimodal promotion: a single-centre, cluster randomised controlled trial.Lancet Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 1345-1355
Conflicts of interest: None to report.