- •An outbreak caused by imipenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii occurred and disseminated to our 2 general wards.
- •The outbreak may be possibly transmitted through the hands of untrained bedside caregivers.
- •A computer-assisted alert messaging system to notify case patients with imipenem-resistant A baumannii helped to control the outbreak.
- •The importance of adherence to hand hygiene by all health care workers cannot be overemphasized.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Confronting multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii: a review.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2011; 37: 102-109
- An increasing threat in hospitals: multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii.Nat Rev Microbiol. 2007; 5: 939-951
- An outbreak due to multiresistant Acinetobacter baumannii in a burn unit: risk factors for acquisition and management.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2002; 23: 261-267
- Investigation of an outbreak of multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in trauma intensive care unit.J Hosp Infect. 2004; 56: 101-105
- Successful management of an outbreak due to carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in a neonatal intensive care unit.Eur J Pediatr. 2015; 174: 65-74
- Outbreak of multiresistant OXA-24- and OXA-51-producing Acinetobacter baumannii in an internal medicine ward.Jpn J Infect Dis. 2013; 66: 323-326
- Spread of multidrug carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in different wards of an Italian hospital.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 39: 790-794
- Outbreak caused by two multi-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii clones in a burns unit: emergence of resistance to imipenem.J Hosp Infect. 1995; 31: 41-54
- Control of an outbreak of multi-drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in an intensive care unit and a surgical ward.J Hosp Infect. 2005; 59: 249-253
- CDC/NHSN surveillance definition of health care-associated infection and criteria for specific types of infections in the acute care setting.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 36: 309-332
- Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing; 24th informational supplement.CLSI document M100-S24. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne (PA)2014
- Interpreting chromosomal DNA restriction patterns produced by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis: criteria for bacterial strain typing.J Clin Microbiol. 1995; 33: 2233-2239
- Management of multidrug-resistant organisms in health care settings 2006.Am J Infect Control. 2007; 35: S165-93
- The optimization of a rapid pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocol for the typing of Acinetobacter baumannii, Escherichia coli and Klebsiella spp.Jpn J Infect Dis. 2009; 62: 372-377
- Genotyping methods for monitoring the epidemic evolution of A. baumannii strains.J Infect Dev Ctries. 2015; 9: 347-354
- Investigation of an outbreak of multi-drug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in an intensive care burns unit.J Hosp Infect. 2001; 48: 228-232
- Cross-transmission of multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii clonal strains causing episodes of sepsis in a trauma intensive care unit.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: 410-417
- Current control and treatment of multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii infections.Lancet Infect Dis. 2008; 8: 751-762
Funding/support: Supported by grants from the Tri-Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center ( TSGH-C105-182 ), Taiwan.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.